Prophetic?

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them. And yet, though this truth would seem so clear, and the importance of a well regulated militia would seem so undeniable, it cannot be disguised, that among the American people there is a growing indifference to any system of militia discipline, and a strong disposition, from a sense of its burdens, to be rid of all regulations. How it is practicable to keep the people duly armed without some organization, it is difficult to see. There is certainly no small danger, that indifference may lead to disgust, and disgust to contempt; and thus gradually undermine all the protection intended by this clause of our national bill of rights."

- Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1890

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;

From spiritual faith to great courage;

From courage to liberty;

From liberty to abundance;

From abundance to complacency;

From complacency to apathy;

From apathy to dependence;

From dependence back into bondage.

Alexander Fraser Tytler

(reformatted.  my tablet does NOT paste stuff as copied fro some reason)

Edited by mcurrier
A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to complacency; From complacency to apathy From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage. Alexander Fraser Tytler

So we are a bit over due, damn.

Guest TNSovereignty

With due respect to Mr. Story, I'm not even sure he was that prophetic ... or even incredibly smart.  Don't get me wrong; he was certainly correct.  What I'm getting at is that 'true truth' is there for everyone to see.  Study a little history, understand the fallen nature of man, and it's pretty easy to grasp these truths.  Unfortunately we live in the most illiterate and ignorant age of our republic ... the nation's majority chooses not to understand human nature 101, history 101, or economics 101 ... and we're reaping the whirlwind.  

Guest Gwith40

The frustrating part is that it is so obvious and yet most don't seem to see it. I shake my head every day at some of the things I see and some of the comments I hear.

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to complacency; From complacency to apathy From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage. Alexander Fraser Tytler

The United States of America is not, and was never intended to be, a Democracy. The Founding Fathers wisely created a Republic. The difference is extremely important.

The United States of America is not, and was never intended to be, a Democracy. The Founding Fathers wisely created a Republic. The difference is extremely important.

As a History Major I understand and totally agree, however the point of the statement is still valid.  I would have changed a few lines, but then it wouldn't be an intact historical quote.