Newbie AR build

Guest NotDylan

Guest NotDylan

So I am seriously considering my very first AR build and would like some advice. There is so much info and so many options out there that it's kind of hard to get it all sorted out, considering I don't know much about the rifle. I have fired one once, today for the first time actually, and have a basic understanding of what an upper and lower is.

I am looking to put together a basic M4 style rifle and keep the cost down around, say $700? I am a lefty and have heard that there are left handed uppers, Stag arms is the only manufacturer of them that I have found so far. Looking at their website they don't seem to be the cheapest ones around. I would prefer a left handed rifle but if it is more cost effective I could make do with just an ambi saftey I imagine.

I would like for it to be a solid rifle and I have no intentions of doing any competition shooting or anything serious so I don't need all the bells and whistles. I would like a collapsible stock and am fine with iron sights but would prefer to have no carrying handle or a detachible one for adding optics in the future if I desire. A foregrip attachment would be nice as well unless it requires an exspensive picatinny rail.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for the help.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NormShaver

you might want to check this guys review of a DPMS Panther Lite they are right at 700 not sure about the left hand however.

Guest abailey362

I've never built one, so I can't give any advice there, but having owned a few I will say that before you start a build, I would recommend handling a few diffferent configurations so if there are things you like, you can get it right the first time. That way you don't go with the cheapest/most basic setup and then decide you do want something added. Then you"ve spent $$$ on the basic part and the upgrade.

Guest ordonnanzgewehr

Well, I just got done building my AR Carbine a few months back. It was quite fun and much easyer than I had imagined. Got about $575 in it. Bought a lower receiver at the gun show for $140. Ordered a flat top carbine kit from Garrison Manufacturing for $425 (+$10 for shipping).

http://www.garrisonmfginc.com/556k.php

Visited the "build your own" section at AR15 dot com, they have a step by step video on how to assemble the lower receiver. The upper is already assembled and pins onto the lower. Your DONE!

Edited by ordonnanzgewehr
Guest price g

ARs are fun and easy to build. The hardest part is deciding the configuration. The lowers are pretty basic. Find one on sale and get a lower parts kit. The money is in the upper. Do like Adam said and try out as many as you can. Go to a rifle match and see what people are shooting. With November approaching, I would not procrastinate.

Guest NotDylan

Well I am not familiar with the ranges near me but I dont see myself getting out much further than 100 yards. More than likely, 50 yards or so.

Guest price g

For 200yrds or less, a 16 inch upper will do what you want. Both DPMS and Stag offer a 16 inch flat top complete upper under $500.

Get the one you can afford now, if you later decide you'd rather have a left handed upper you can easily switch just the upper. That being said if you are thinking lefty go lefty. But beware left handed ARs look weird.

Guest NotDylan
But beware left handed ARs look weird.

Not to me :death: I am going to have to think about it though, being right eye dominant and left handed is a curse I tell you.