I am moving to TN in the near future. I currently live in SC and have a permit. According to the TN.gov site:

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such person will be processed as a renewal applicant if the eligibility requirements of the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee. View application requirements by state for persons holding a Handgun Carry Permit from another state and applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit.

As I read the above I should be able to just apply as a renewal. Has anyone actually done this? I called the contact # and they didn't know took my # and said they would call me back. I am holding my breath.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't quote me on this but I think that is the way to go. Though I remember seeing someone on here post they had to wait forever for Tenn. to recive his prints from his previous state & recomended that if anyone else is to do it to have their prints done in Tenn.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Don't quote me on this but I think that is the way to go. Though I remember seeing someone on here post they had to wait forever for Tenn. to recive his prints from his previous state & recomended that if anyone else is to do it to have their prints done in Tenn.

Well, I think that's what happened. I move here from NC, where I had a CCH permit. So when it came time for me to get my TN permit, I still had to take the class, but I just paid the renewal fee and got to skip the fingerprinting. However, it took 97 days for me to receive my permit, which was a lot longer than other folks here who applied around the same time I did.

I have no criminal record at all, except for traffic tickets, and I haven't lived in a lot of places, either. I assume that TN still needs fingerprinted to do the background check, so they would have had to get my prints from the agency back in NC. So I arrived at the tentative assumption that getting the fingerprints was what delayed my permit so much. Of course, I have nothing but circumstantial evidence to support this assumption, but who knows...

Looks like you, coming from SC, get to skip the course too, so you've got it pretty easy. I had no trouble at the DOS convincing them that I only had to pay the renewal fee.

Guest sling

It probably took you 97 days because you had to wait for your home states government to forward those prints. Its not an uncommon thing for for any process to take forever when you have two state governments that need to work together.

So I don't have to retake the course but it will take a while to get the prints shipped. If I read the site correctly I have 6 months in which to get a permit. So I am assuming that my sc permit will still be valid during the time that I am waiting. But as I said there were some really bright people answering the phone up there in Gov land.

Guest GUTTERbOY
It probably took you 97 days because you had to wait for your home states government to forward those prints. Its not an uncommon thing for for any process to take forever when you have two state governments that need to work together.

Yeah, that was kind of my thought... in retrospect, I probably would have been better off to just put up with the inconvenience of getting new prints done.

Oh well- live and learn.

Guest 270win

I found the process very easy at the highway patrol office on Summer in Memphis almost two years ago. I had an unexpired AR Concealed Handgun License with me while switching out my drivers license. I had to fill out the standard handgun carry permit application and checked renewal. It did confuse an untrained worker and a few calls were made to the main office in Nashville, copies made of my AR CHL, but they eventually took my fifty dollar check, and i kept my AR CHL. About two weeks after filling out the paperwork, i got a call from Nashville telling me they did not receive the photocopy of my AR CHL from the Memphis office, but that i passed the background check. I went ahead faxed a copy of my AR CHL to the main handgun carry permit office and received my permit about two weeks later (holiday made the turnaround a little slower). The permits are printed out at some office in Murfreesboro.

Be sure and have the dept of safety people take a photocopy of your SC Concealed Handgun Permit and make sure they don't try to charge you 115 bucks....you'll be charged 50 like me and bypass the fingerprinted, class, and range qualification. If the people at the office have any questions, it may take them calling the main handgun permit office to get it all straight as far as fees and not asking for proof of fingerprinting and the TN class.

Good luck with all the fun!

• Administrator

When I moved here from Kentucky about 11 years ago, I transferred my Kentucky permit and did not have to retake the class. Had new fingerprints and photo made. At that time, you got your fingerprints done via ink pad at the TDOS station, but it has changed now to an electronic format done at Cogent centers. Not nearly as convenient, but oh well.

Guest bkelm18

I don't understand why they don't do fingerprints at the Driver's License stations. :confused: But who am I to apply logic to anything. :2cents:

Guest 270win

I did not have to be fingerprinted to get a TN Carry Permit because i was fingerprinted by the AR State Police for my concealed handgun license. At one time, ASP did fingerprint cards sent to the FBI's office somewhere in VA as a part of the background check. Yearly, you were checked by ASP to see if you were somehow disqualified. I could buy guns without the FBI background check by showing my CHL to a gun dealer.

Guest bkelm18
Thanks for you replies. I first thing on my list after closing on my house and moving in is to head for the DMV to get my DL and CWP.

Two corrections. :) In TN, its not the DMV, its the DoS (Department of Safety), and its not a CWP, its a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit). The HCP allows you to open or concealed carry.

Guest waffenldr

I have a permit from AR. But I waited over 6 months before I read the Tenn rules. DUH!! Some I just all over. Like I never had one.

Guest bkelm18
I have a permit from AR. But I waited over 6 months before I read the Tenn rules. DUH!! Some I just all over. Like I never had one.

Yep. Same here. I had one from VA but just never got around to applying here until after the 6 mo mark. So far its been 2 agonizing weeks. :) Only several more to go.

Two corrections. ;) In TN, its not the DMV, its the DoS (Department of Safety), and its not a CWP, its a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit). The HCP allows you to open or concealed carry.

Thanks, now I have to learn a whole new Govt. :D