Tennessee house bill to push back against gun legislation

Guest Pineapple Devil

The federal government isn't really even supposed to have police power, except over enumerated powers, but that word seems

to get no traction for understanding. The 9th and 10th Amendments mean something, don't they? They can most certainly police

federal facilities, but not any more than that in the state of Tennessee, or any other state for that matter, and crimes involving

interstate passage and banking laws. There may be a few others, but not many.

So DaveTN, are you saying the people and the governments who have passed laws like this are wrong? Illegal acts? What?

State and local governments have every right to intervene if they believe someone from the federal government is acting

outside their authority. Supremacy clause has nothing to do with this. States are sovereign in all other matters not already

ceded to the federal government.

States are sovereign in all other matters not already ceded to the federal government.

That's a fact.  For those who don't understand that, look at it this way.  States existed first, before Federal govt.  They enacted and enforced their own rules before any Federal govt. was around.  They only willingly formed and joined a Federal govt. for things like common defense and such.  States DID NOT surrender their sovereignty when they created the Federal govt., they retained sovereignty, but granted very limited powers to the Federal govt.

• Like 4

I wise cop taught me that you don’t make a threat you can’t back-up.

Obama wants to destroy this country. What better way than to turn Americans against each other. Don’t let it happen, no cops are going to jail for enforcing the law. If you can’t put Obama in jail or impeach him; those laws have no teeth.

This stuff is as stupid as when the Tennessee legislature threatened to ticket New York drivers; what a sham, they should be ashamed.(Not of the refusal to enforce, but the threat of arresting Federal Agents; thats ridiculous.)

The use of the word "threat" tells me so much that this is meaningless to discuss with you, and until you understand what the Constitution

actually says, there will be no good derived from it. Having no teeth also applies to federal laws when they are unjust. The only "teeth" is

at the end of the barrel of a gun they point at you. There is no justification in allowing this kind of behavior to continue and the federal

government you appear to appreciate so much needs to know where their justification begins and ends. I don't like the idea of a threat

from anyone in a civil society. No one threatened arrest of federal agents until a law was broken. Tyranny is a constant threat. They

should stick to enumerated powers and, otherwise, leave people alone.

Obama wants to destroy this country. What better way than to turn Americans against each other. Don’t let it happen, no cops are going to jail for enforcing the law. If you can’t put Obama in jail or impeach him; those laws have no teeth.

This stuff is as stupid as when the Tennessee legislature threatened to ticket New York drivers; what a sham, they should be ashamed.(Not of the refusal to enforce, but the threat of arresting Federal Agents; thats ridiculous.)

I'm not so sure the real intent here is to threaten the feds, it just looks that way on the surface. I think the various States are trying to get the feds attention to say "stop trying to exceed your enumerated powers". Sometimes you have to do something outrageous to get Washington's attention. The States are saying "you're out of touch with mainstream America and we're not going to let you usurp our authority over our citizens".

This legislation is also the method of redress through the courts. Someone has to have been damaged before a lawsuit can be filed and these laws will help make lawsuits happen more quickly and many allow State AG's to provide representation. We won't have to wait for someone with deep pockets to pony up for a lawyer.

I'm not so sure the real intent here is to threaten the feds, it just looks that way on the surface. I think the various States are trying to get the feds attention to say "stop trying to exceed your enumerated powers". Sometimes you have to do something outrageous to get Washington's attention. The States are saying "you're out of touch with mainstream America and we're not going to let you usurp our authority over our citizens".

This legislation is also the method of redress through the courts. Someone has to have been damaged before a lawsuit can be filed and these laws will help make lawsuits happen more quickly and many allow State AG's to provide representation. We won't have to wait for someone with deep pockets to pony up for a lawyer.

I have asked this before and never got an answer from any of the attorney’s, but it doesn’t seem reasonable to me that someone has to be arrested or have damages before a law can be tested. Why has the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act not been tested? The ATF sent out letters that it is unlawful and will not be acknowledged by them. Is that not enough? Heller tested the law and none of them had been arrested.

Arresting a Federal Agent serves no purpose. At some point he will be bailed out and then it’s over. Except for the part where he sues the state for false arrest and unlawful restraint and wins a huge settlement that we get to pay. People go nuts when cops arrest citizens on charges where they know they can’t get a conviction. How is this any different? I don’t support the unlawful arrest and incarceration of any American Citizen regardless of what his job is, and I expect the same from my legislators.

Cops taking on cops because Obama commits a crime, citizens picking sides? That’s crazy; at that point our legal system is in total failure.

I have asked this before and never got an answer from any of the attorney’s, but it doesn’t seem reasonable to me that someone has to be arrested or have damages before a law can be tested.

I hope a lawyer does jump in and explain this to us but, in the meantime, this is my understanding of how it works.

If a law is thought to be illegal, but no one is affected (damaged) by it, it can't be challenged in court. To challenge a law in court you have to have been impacted by the law or you don't have 'standing' to file suit. If the law has the potential to harm, or impact you, but hasn't yet, you can't sue. I agree that it seems stupid but that's how it is.

I hope a lawyer does jump in and explain this to us but, in the meantime, this is my understanding of how it works.

If a law is thought to be illegal, but no one is affected (damaged) by it, it can't be challenged in court. To challenge a law in court you have to have been impacted by the law or you don't have 'standing' to file suit. If the law has the potential to harm, or impact you, but hasn't yet, you can't sue. I agree that it seems stupid but that's how it is.

We are as potentially impacted by the TFFA as anyone in the Heller case. Heller was never arrested nor had any guns taken away.

I’m not arguing, I just don’t know why we have to wait for someone to go to prison to challenge this this law.

That's not turning Americans on each other. It's turning the people away from tyranny caused by things you don't accept. The 9th and 10th

Amendment, that is.

State level is one thing, and will be more "sound and fury" than anything else.

Anyone pushing your reps on the Federal level?  Stop it before it trickles down to the state level.

We are as potentially impacted by the TFFA as anyone in the Heller case. Heller was never arrested nor had any guns taken away.

I’m not arguing, I just don’t know why we have to wait for someone to go to prison to challenge this this law.

ObamaCare went all the way to Supreme Court long before the first person was ever fined for not having health insurance.

- OS