Well finally got to shoot my 6.8SPC ar that I put together (can't say built, pulling 2 pins and snapping the thiing together does not make me a builder). Got to the range, pulled out my brand new box of REM 6.8SPC ammo, loaded up 10 rounds, sighted the target and went to town, first shot dead on, second shot, nothing, just a click. i look at the gun, the breach is closed, nothing wrong that I can see, wait about 2 min holding the muzzle down range and finally eject the round (out of a brand new box of 6.8's, remember that?) and it's a stinking .223. Now I got nothing against a 223 / 556. I happen to own 2 more ar's in 223 and 2 pistols in 223. Teh old man that was shooting beside me just horse laughed.

I must admit after I discovered the wrong roun d I was pretty happy that there was nothing wrong with my gun.

Now for more observations, that thing is a tack driver. it shoots better than I can. of course a good scope might have helped, all I had in my range bag was one of those ecotech clones.

Well off to find more 6.8 and better hearing protection.:)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

did you mix up the ammo or was it like that from remington?

glad you like it.

Broke open the box at the range, so it had to be from REM. I just wonder if it was over charged? that 6.8 seems to move the bullet down range a heck of a lot quicker.:)

Dr,

Get you some Silver State Armory ammo! Good stuff. If you have a standard 6.8 SPC chamber though don't get their hot stuff. Did you get a Kotonics with the tighter 6.8 chamber stats or a Bushy/DPMS with the Remington stats?

http://www.ssarmory.com/index.aspx

I don't know I got it off someone here at TGO. Best deal I have made. I'll pull it out tomorrow and see what markings are on it.

Dr,

Read this article and then look at your barrel for some clues.

http://cardinalarmory.com/non-pcart/docs/CombatArms2008.pdf

The "improved" 6.8 barrels and chambers sold by Kotonics eliminated some of the problems with overpressure signs and short stroking with the 6.8s. There was a fix to the amount of freebore in the chamber and the new barrels that will allow you to shoot the hot SSA rounds has 6 rifling grooves and not 4. If you count 4 groups of lands and grooves, you have a standard (original SAMMI) barrel and probably the shorter chamber. If you count 6 then you probably have a Kotonics (now Cardinal Armory, didn't know that till I went back to Tims website).

DO NOT get the hot stuff if you have 4 grooves as you could see problems in the future and even break a bolt, which was a common problem. Don't worry about it though. Just keep buying the standard Remington 6.8 stuff and it will be fine.

You might also want to look up the folks at 68forums.com. Tell Cold I sent ya!