Mississippi and Restaurants

I went out to dinner with the MIL last night in North Mississippi. I was unsure of the law and in a T-Shirt that printed VERY badly (wasn't planning on making any stops) so being as I am from TN and used to the draconian law here I disarmed. I checked the laws this morning and it appears that

"No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to

carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in

Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol

station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom,

except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a

concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his

courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any

governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any

public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-

related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not

related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense

alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted

to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which

beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to

such purpose;"

So, did I have to disarm since this was a restaurant or could I have gone in with out problem?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

Sounds as if you go to a restaurant that serves alcohol you are ok. If you go to a bar that serves food, you would not be ok.

Guest Ranger Rick
Sounds as if you go to a restaurant that serves alcohol you are ok. If you go to a bar that serves food, you would not be ok.

+1

sounds that way to me too.

Also, you could sit in the food side of the establishment (that has a bar else where) and be OK too.

Edited by Ranger Rick
more thought
Guest abailey362

sounds like a 51% rule to me.

my problem with those laws is that it's sometimes hard to tell unless they are posted on how much business comes from what sales.

Guest 270win

Southaven and Olive Branch are nice to eat at if you live in the Memphis area because you can legally carry inside restaurants there that serve alcohol. I honestly don't think there is a law in MS about drinking and carrying as long as you aren't intoxicated. Mississippi has it right when it comes to their permit process, just pay the fee, pass the background check, and you get one.

Guest General_Mayhem

Where MS has it wrong on its permit process is that they studiously respect the legal time limit on issuing permits and rarely if ever issue more than a couple days before the legal time limit.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been spending most of the summer in Olive Branch, MS. baby sitting( It is really my wife who is sitting with my new grandson. I just watch her.). We've gone to dinner several times at O'Charley's, Chili's, Long Horn, and others. It is nice to not have to disarm before entering like in Tennessee. I interpret the law to mean that you have to stay out of the bar area in these restaurants.

Guest nraforlife

Agree. Simple language would be something like its ok to carry in a restaurant but not at the bar or bar lounge.