Nashville Armory IDPA Feb 12 - 7:00

Just a late reminder (as always!) Nashville Armory IDPA night tonight Feb 12th 2013. Great COF tonight we've got two stages with some good movement and a third that looks like stand and deliver! Hope everyone got a chance to make it out to Gallatin Gun Club on Saturday. Classification went smoothly (even if I'm still an MM) and we certainly thank Robert for hosting another one!

Ok guys hope to see you there!!

• Like 1
Guest ArmsForAmerica

Thanks Jim for reminding everyone about the match. I definitely miss being there, and I'm curious how the stages are working out. I hear there's a bigger crowd tonight, and I hope you get all three in.

We finished two COF before the Armory shut it down...Two COF for $25 is steep. I am sure you will come up with some solutions, but for tonight there should be a rebate or pro-rate or whatever you wish to call it for the shooters who were still there till the end - 9:15pm. It was a very safe night and the COF were fun and challenging.

Edited by ArmsForAmerica
Guest ArmsForAmerica

Anyone know when the next one will be?  Providing I can actually get away from work before 8 or 9?

If I am not mistaken, 2nd and 4th Tuesdays.

I'm glad to hear you guys had a good time. In the future, we will be able to use the other bay starting at 8:00. I consider three stages to be a minimum, so I'm sorry you guys only got two for your money tonight. The goal ultimately is four, even if the fourth is only a bill drill. We can do this as shooters increase in skill (speed) and with better stage design (my responsibility) and starting on time (also my responsibility). The only thing I have zero control over is the cost of the match. You'll have to speak to range management about that one.
  • Like 1

One thing that would help, Have folks start signing in at 5:30. At 6:30 I still had several people waiting in line to sign in. That delayed the start. We need a host/hostest to guide people around. If they need to watch the Armory safety film, get that done and signed off in the gathering area. While the set up crew is prepping the bay, someone can be getting the shooters ready in the classroom.  If we get the other bay, have the set up crew shoot first on stage one. they can move over and prep the other side. This will take a few more people to get done in the time we have. We may have to up the number of match officals that work the match. A group meeting may be in order of the core people to work out details. My safety meeting ran long because of the high number of new shooters last night. It also takes longer to run new shooters thru the COF.

• Like 1

I had a great time. Shot the 44 Special with CCI Blazer +P's!!! Wasn't trying to be a smart aleck that's just all the factory ammo that was left! We did have a truncated COF, but for me it didn't effect the evening at all. I do like to B.S. but I also like to see how others shoot the stage and what I can/didn't/should/or could do next (and get all those tips from the "old heads" who know what's up... THANKS!!! Rick Robert Hognut  Norma TJ) So even with just two stages I got to see the way 30 people shoot the "situation". I got to see T.J. Hooper point at the sky... I got to see a business man empty his gun and all mags on all stages! (Ex-Army here I KNOW how to burn up some ammo). And how to put pasters all over Dale! You can't put a price on that!!

The club just needs it's time to mature. We all need to consider assisting in setup and take-down (and appreciate the few qualified SO/MD/Match workers with the experience to show us the way.)

2 cents delivered! :usa:

See you all on the 26th!

• Like 2

I had a good time even with the shortened match. I think adding another bay/squad will help greatly.

The most important thing I learned at the match is that it's better by orders of magnitude to sit in the Armory for a couple of hours than in Nashville traffic :rofl:  

I'm not worried. It's like Jim says; we just need time to mature. My friend Patrick and I ran our Atlanta match smoothly, but there were a few hiccups in the beginning. I'm looking forward to when IDPA puts out the new rulebook and begins training SOs again. As shooters at our match gain experience, some will naturally gravitate towards becoming SOs, and Mick and I will suggest that path to others. That will help out with the two-bay situation, which again is how the Atlanta match was organized. Later on, when more quality ranges come online in Nashville, some of the SOs may become interested in running their own matches. That may be years from now, but I'm hoping for it, if only to selfishly get my own shooting fix. I don't know about you guys, but two indoor matches a month doesn't quite do it for me.
Thanks again to Robert, Darryl, Michael, Rick and everyone else who helped out with the match last night.

$25 is way, way too much.  :stunned:

Even if you did run all three stages, that would be near $.50 a shot.

I don't think I've ever seen a local club anywhere in the Southeast with that high of a normal club match fee - - - and I've been shooting IDPA since 1997.

JMHO.  NA's business model here is all wrong.  It should be looking at this as a means to get foot traffic into their store.  Until they understand that and lower the fee, these matches will contnue to be very unappealing to vast majority of experienced IDPA competitors.

Tell them to drop the fee to $15 and watch the buzz that will develop about the indoor NA match.

$25 is way, way too much.  :stunned:

Even if you did run all three stages, that would be near $.50 a shot.

I don't think I've ever seen a local club anywhere in the Southeast with that high of a normal club match fee - - - and I've been shooting IDPA since 1997.

JMHO.  NA's business model here is all wrong.  It should be looking at this as a means to get foot traffic into their store.  Until they understand that and lower the fee, these matches will contnue to be very unappealing to vast majority of experienced IDPA competitors.

Tell them to drop the fee to $15 and watch the buzz that will develop about the indoor NA match.

I didn't mind paying the $25 for the times I shot there, but I was shooting for a specific training reason (needed experience shooting matches on indoor ranges). Plus, I didn't know if that fee was common for indoor matches. I actually dislike getting taxed on the match fee more than the fee itself.

BUT, one thing for any NA guys on here or those that can pass word along, I spent nearly $60 dollars in the store before the match. They had some great deals on hearing/eye protection so I got enough for the whole family. I don't know if other folks purchased anything, but the foot traffic concept is something for management to think about.

At $25 there are already approacing full matches for the size of the venue.(we're not experienceing a shortage of shooters willing to pay) I'm not a very experienced IDPA shooter, but I've recently become quite familiar with the cost of building an indoor range and have to say I'm amazed NA has gotten the range fees as low as they have with the way they are equipped.

You also have to remember that they are in a pretty prime location, within minutes of downtown, which also doesn't come cheap.

I work too much, but thanks to a kind friend with more means than myself and the availability of the NA I still get to put 2k rounds down range a month on average. IDPA is only 5% of that and it's the most expensive by far, (just under $1 per shot tuesday night by the time you figure cost of factoy loads) but the IDPA matches I've been able to attend so far are the best practice I get in all month and the most rewarding, showing me that all the time and money i'm putting in elsewhere is increasing my skill level. 

Dale gives me a hard time often and I really appreciate it, b/c shooting at a private range with no range officer to watch me I have develeoped some bad range habits I just wasn't realizing myself.

Michael gave me a great tip about speeding up my reloads, if I can just get over the cringe when my currently unobtainium hicap mags bounce off the unforgiving concrete floor.

Jim's going to have me walking in circles while I shoot all next week, which will probably make my friend think I've finally gone off the deep end but it will hopefully further improve my accuracy on the move.

All of the above is vary hard to figure out on my own even with excellent resources, there's just no quick replacement for a group of experienced shooters watching your runs and offering advice. That is what makes IDPA worth whatever it costs at NA to me.

WHAT???? Now I feel cheated- NOBODY gave me any good tips or pointers!

:rofl:

We give them all the time at Music City Tactical Shooters. Even have a TEAM MCTS of 3 great shooters (2 guys and 1 lady) to provide this to all new shooters.

DMark, please voice your opinion about the match fee to range management directly. I've had that conversation with them more than once. I've mentioned that Atlanta matches are all $15, with some charging $10 for range members.
Ultimately, I support NA's policies. They have been gracious to allow us to use their facility, and to let me run the matches pretty much the way I want to.

DMark, please voice your opinion about the match fee to range management directly...... 

Rather talk to one of the owners who along with one of my cousins was a past business partner in another capital venture.

Don't get me wrong.  I wish good forture and great success for NA.  

I just think that in regard to this matter, the hired management is being short-sighted with the high match fee.  That will be my point whenever I get around to discuss this with one of the partners.