Arnold Air Force Base 1000 yard range?

DaveTN

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this has been discussed before, but I can’t find it.

Is the 1000 yard range at Arnold ever open to the public? Not for a match, but just for general shooting.

I know AAFB has held shooting events for politicians, but I've never heard anything about us "Regular Joe's" having access to the range.

That being said, I'm not sure the politicians had access to the 1000 yarder.

Depends on when you go out there... 1000yd requires that they block off a section of an adjacent road, as I recall, and they don't do that much even for the military shooters.

If ya' want, I can find out what arrangements could be made. I work with the folks who operate the private club out there.

Guest FroggyOne2

There will be a 2x1000 on Sunday the 27th. The range is open to civilians only when there is a match. At all other times.. "regular joe" can not access the range for just general shooting.

Guest Todd@CIS
The range is run by the Tn Army National Guard. In the summer it is pretty filled up

for Summer AT.

...and local SWAT teams. :rolleyes:

Actually, our Snipers (lazy, don't want to workout) use their ranges, but Entry guys (better looking super-studs) do most of our shooting at the TN Guard range in Smyrna.

We use Tullahoma's MOUT buildings for our force-on-force training and their Obstacle Course as part of our bi-annual physical qual course.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest airbornefox

Actually I've seen some civies use it, but it was some gun club shooting competively. Went with a buddy to watch them for a little bit. Kept asking them how they got permission but they wouldn't say.

Guest mtsusean

All of the qualification done by TNARNG is done on the 300m pop-up range. The road that runs behind the KD range is the same road that goes down to the pop-up range. To use the KD/1000 yard range, all you do is close the gates to traffic on that road, not a big deal.

That being said, the ranges pretty much go unused Monday through Thursday. Friday's through Sunday are booked up through eternity for ARNG units.

There are at least four civilian clubs that conduct matches at the TN Nat'l Guard Range located at AEDC near Tullahoma. The TN Shooting Sports Association (TNSSA.org) used to have a highpower committee that ran matches there for the state open and service rifle championships. Monthly matches were held up to and past 9-11 until new security procedures were put into place.

Warren County Rifle Club sponsors and holds matches there on a monthly basis. Across the course matches are shot on Saturday. The 1000yd matches are conducted on Sundays. Chris Hayes of McMinnville is the officer with the WCRC that is in charge of this program.

The local AEDC club, Highland Rim, sometimes sponsors across the course matches. These are rare and generally they use the multi purpose range for small bore matches and plinking. This range goes out to 100yds.

The Blue & Gray Club out of Huntsville, AL runs some of its matches at this range as well. The dates are coordinated with the WCRC and TNSSA with the prior permission of the TN Nat'l Guard. All match dates are reserved and worked out at least one year in advance.

Due to the qualification of Nat'l Guard and Reserve forces, we are no longer able to conduct practice scessions at the range. Sometimes, on short notice we can practice across the course on a Wednesday afternoon starting at about 3:00 and other times on a Sunday afternoon. These practice sessions are impromptu and phone notice is provided to some competitiors who frequent the matches.

The KD ranges is bisected by a road behind the 300yd line. It is this road that joins the pop up range to the facility. The KD range is again bisected by a road behind 600yd line. This is a public road and it must be closed, traffic rerouted and road guards posted before the 1000yd. line can be used. The range is being upgraded to install hinged fences to block off this road for the purpose of running 1000yd matches without the need for road guards however, this is at least a year away.

The short answer is, if you want to come shoot 1000yds, come to one of the scheduled 1000yd matches and register to shoot "F Class". Any center fire rifle, capable of shooting 1000yds, with the exception of .50 cal. weapons, are permitted. Sighters are unlimited and you have 30 minutes to shoot your sighters and 20 record shots. .50 cal. weapons are not permitted due to range limitations and potential for damages to facilites in case of accidential discharge at maximum elevation.

We are fortunate to have several very qualified shooters in "F Class" and regular NRA classifications who are more than willing to assit new shooters to "get you on paper". Shooters must also pull targets in the pits for the alternating relays. Most 1000yds matches begin with registration at 8:00 and shooting begins at 9:00. Inexperienced shooters are often squaded with more experienced shooters who help get them accustomed to the range, commands, wind conditions, etc..

Don't be bashful or to macho to come out and give it a try. Remember, the best shooter on the line was once a novice shooter who had never pulled the trigger at 1000yds.

There are at least four civilian clubs that conduct matches at the TN Nat'l Guard Range located at AEDC near Tullahoma. The TN Shooting Sports Association (TNSSA.org) used to have a highpower committee that ran matches there for the state open and service rifle championships. Monthly matches were held up to and past 9-11 until new security procedures were put into place.

Warren County Rifle Club sponsors and holds matches there on a monthly basis. Across the course matches are shot on Saturday. The 1000yd matches are conducted on Sundays. Chris Hayes of McMinnville is the officer with the WCRC that is in charge of this program.

The local AEDC club, Highland Rim, sometimes sponsors across the course matches. These are rare and generally they use the multi purpose range for small bore matches and plinking. This range goes out to 100yds.

The Blue & Gray Club out of Huntsville, AL runs some of its matches at this range as well. The dates are coordinated with the WCRC and TNSSA with the prior permission of the TN Nat'l Guard. All match dates are reserved and worked out at least one year in advance.

Due to the qualification of Nat'l Guard and Reserve forces, we are no longer able to conduct practice scessions at the range. Sometimes, on short notice we can practice across the course on a Wednesday afternoon starting at about 3:00 and other times on a Sunday afternoon. These practice sessions are impromptu and phone notice is provided to some competitiors who frequent the matches.

The KD ranges is bisected by a road behind the 300yd line. It is this road that joins the pop up range to the facility. The KD range is again bisected by a road behind 600yd line. This is a public road and it must be closed, traffic rerouted and road guards posted before the 1000yd. line can be used. The range is being upgraded to install hinged fences to block off this road for the purpose of running 1000yd matches without the need for road guards however, this is at least a year away.

The short answer is, if you want to come shoot 1000yds, come to one of the scheduled 1000yd matches and register to shoot "F Class". Any center fire rifle, capable of shooting 1000yds, with the exception of .50 cal. weapons, are permitted. Sighters are unlimited and you have 30 minutes to shoot your sighters and 20 record shots. .50 cal. weapons are not permitted due to range limitations and potential for damages to facilites in case of accidential discharge at maximum elevation.

We are fortunate to have several very qualified shooters in "F Class" and regular NRA classifications who are more than willing to assit new shooters to "get you on paper". Shooters must also pull targets in the pits for the alternating relays. Most 1000yds matches begin with registration at 8:00 and shooting begins at 9:00. Inexperienced shooters are often squaded with more experienced shooters who help get them accustomed to the range, commands, wind conditions, etc..

Don't be bashful or to macho to come out and give it a try. Remember, the best shooter on the line was once a novice shooter who had never pulled the trigger at 1000yds.

Now there's a man who knows what's going on.

That sounds like an awesome time. All I need is a 1000yd rifle.:woohoo:

Guest FroggyOne2
Well kinda… I have a 1000 yard rifle, but I’m not sure I want to be dialing it in at a 1000 yard match. :rolleyes:

Accually.. that is the best time to be dialing a rifle in for 1000 yards.. because the experienced shooter can get behind you with his scope and watch the trace to help you with your elevation.. also.. get a real 200 yard zero.. and that will be a great help in getting you on at 1 K!

You've got to start some where. The registration fees for a 1000yd match are generally $20 or less. Where else are you going to get a chance to shoot that far, that cheaply in the state?

I recall that before shooting my first 1k yd match that I used the old Army "thermometer" sight in target for an approximate 1k yd zero. The target allows the shooter to get an approximate zero at 50yds, if I recall correctly, with a designated aiming point. Changing the elevation moves the bullet up the "thermometer" to the approximate 1k yd setting. Its enough to get you on paper and adjust from there. Or, if you have a 600 yd. zero the approximate adjustment is 4 minutes of elevation for every 100 yds. This too, will get you on paper. The 4 moa rule is good for whatever yard line you have a zero for on your weapon. Just add 4 moa/elevation for every 100 yds back to 1k yds.

Remember, if you do not have an NRA or "F Class" classification that you will be placed into the "Master Unclassified" category. Also remember that you are shooting against yourself and the target. If you want to compete against some one else, that's your choice. You get placed into the aggregate score sheet base on your performance/score.

And, yes, you can see 1000 yds. There is nothing between you and the target but air. Of course, the air is moving due to wind and thermals, so a spotting scope is a must to read the mirage and adjust for windage and elevation. If you don't have a spotting scope, one of the shooter on the relay in the pits will let you use theirs.

Guest Mugster
Accually.. that is the best time to be dialing a rifle in for 1000 yards.. because the experienced shooter can get behind you with his scope and watch the trace to help you with your elevation.. also.. get a real 200 yard zero.. and that will be a great help in getting you on at 1 K!

+1, Just go and shoot. They are used to new shooters.

You might run your scope elevation clicker all the way low and count the clicks to your current zero and write that down. Then go back to zero and add enough clicks (in theory) for 1000 yards. My hunting 4-12x (redfield 5 star ) scope doesn't have the clicks in it to get the job done.

Might save you a gotcha. Don't ask me how I know :D

Guest FroggyOne2
You might run your scope elevation clicker all the way low and count the clicks to your current zero and write that down. Then go back to zero and add enough clicks (in theory) for 1000 yards. My hunting 4-12x (redfield 5 star ) scope doesn't have the clicks in it to get the job done.

Might save you a gotcha. Don't ask me how I know :x:

May I suggest that if you wish to shoot at a 1000 yards to invest in either a 15 - 20 MOA scope rail, or get the Burris Zee Rings with the plastic inserts to witch you can go to 20 MOA of elevation.

Guest Mugster
May I suggest that if you wish to shoot at a 1000 yards to invest in either a 15 - 20 MOA scope rail, or get the Burris Zee Rings with the plastic inserts to witch you can go to 20 MOA of elevation.

I didn't know they sold such a beast. I wound up shimming my glass a little with some aluminum strips I cut out of a coke can. It worked ok for a country boy.

Does anyone know if the Blackwater range is really open to the public? If so, I plan on stopping by when I am in the area next month. Too bad I don't have anything adequate to take advantage of the 1200 yards!

• Moyock - Blackwater Training Center, 850 Puddin Ridge Road, Moyock, NC 27958.
    Phone: 252-435-2488
    Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25 & 50 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100-1200yds)
    Range Access: Public
    After further investigation, I think it is only open for their courses and agencies conducting training there. :blush:

Edited by BrandonTN