12 Gauge to Rifle/Pistol Adapter

Guest kcraig

Guest kcraig

Hey guys,

I was stumbling around the internet and came up on the X Caliber shotgun to rifle/pistol caliber adapters. Those suckers were like $450 bucks. Well, that got me to thinking  :eek: . I can get Green Mountain barrel blanks for $35 bucks long enough to make two and make my own (and to sell). The question is; would that be considered a receiver since it accepts a cartridge? Their site doesn't say anything about needing an FFL to  order one. Also I wonder about patent infringement?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jr1977

Hi kcraig,

In short, No, the barrel adapters would not be the receiver.  Now for the long version.  Not sure if this will help you or not ( and I am not a lawyer or English major, lol), but all I have learned through my years in dealing with the ATF is that yes, you can buy barrel blanks and make them into complete firearms for PERSONAL use, not retail, unless serialization and the proper forms are filed. Now that is just the firearms aspect. Just making adapters from barrel blanks, although it accepts a cartridge, is not manufacturing a firearm so no 07FFL needed.  To place this in a better perspective, AR barrels are shipped directly to your home, no FFL needed, any caliber, any size, etc., for use on whatever platform your intentions are.  Oredering a 7.5" barrel and just merely possessing it in the same residence as an AR15 that is not registered as an SBR will get you into serious trouble for intent.  Adapters for the 37mm launchers to fire 12ga, .410, etc are also exempt from regulations, however, using said adapter would be turning the 37mm launcher into a destructive device and without the tax stamp, you will once again, be in serious trouble.  The X caliber adapter could be construed as a short barreled rifle if the ATF interprets the 7.5" adapter to be the firearm's barrel since the 12ga barrel would technically be a shroud.  I would be safe and actually contact your local ATF and ask them, they are not hard to deal with and have actually been rather pleasant in demeanor in all our conversations.  I looked at the X calibers a while back and decided not to pursue them because at that price, I could buy several barrels and machine them for use on the H&R handi-rifle. Hope this helps.

....  Oredering a 7.5" barrel and just merely possessing it in the same residence as an AR15 that is not registered as an SBR will get you into serious trouble for intent.....

Always a slight risk, but not as long as that barrel has a "useful purpose other than making an NFA firearm".

In other words, also having a lower that may be used for a pistol config -- which is any lower that did not begin life as a rifle.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot