Life like scenarios....

I was wondering what people thought about practicing some life like situation drills. The one I had in my head was set in a movie theater type place. (For obvious reasons) One person has gun and one person in the audience has a gun. The "gunman" doesn't know which citizen is armed. The citizen doesn't know which doorway the gunman is going to use. Gunman picks a door then picks targets. Hopefully the citizen can eliminate the gunman before he is eliminated and saving the lives of others. All this while dodging running bystanders. People will be running everywhere trying to get to the 2 exits. Once the first shot is fired it will be a frenzy and people might not know exactly which of the two are aiming for them Ina real situation!

It would show how fast things happen and show a slight insight on the confusion and importance of accuracy in a crowded environment. Also I know a lot of punch holes in paper, but not so many shoot moving targets, shooting back, and trying to shoot around innocent people. I think it is important to train as close to real situation you're carrying for. More muscle memory right?

The down side is participation and tools. Of course the hardest part is getting people to show. This ismone of those instances where the more, the merrier! I can get pallets possibly to make walls and obvious exits. Even rope would make an obvious boundary in which not to cross. Air soft or paintball guns for the simulation? If anyone has training or been in this position, it would be great to learn what you wanted, or were able, to pass on. We can also do other things once there. Different scenarios, shoot, swap, anything anybody had in mind really....

Thoughts?
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its an interesting idea but the logistics of it would be extreamly difficult.  For a study off effectiveness of a permit against that type of thing i could maybe see it.  But to do it for training value i think would be a waste.  There are lots of life like scenarious that are statisticly more likey to happen to you than an active shooter.  training time would be better spent focusing on those.  Also for a crowded theatre in TN the odds of only 1 person aving a gun are slim.  Permit holders make up about 6 percent of the 21 and up population in TN.  If you want realism then the numer of people armed should be accurate to what the real worl would be.  If you did it you could probably do best cae and worst case.  one run at 6 percent one run at 1 person.

We could do other scenarios if it would be more helpful. I was just reading about the Colorado shooting when I thought of this. What do you think could be some other scenarios? The 6% would be fun if enough people showed! I'm guessing we MIGHT get 10-15 if we're lucky... Even at 6% that would be like 1-2 people. I was thinking about a diner/restaurant kind of thing too. It might be a little harder to fabricate a set for that. Maybe a race to first shot from concealed position. Using a air soft gun and actually being shot might put a little extra stress in the situation....
  • 4 weeks later...

I think its an interesting idea but the logistics of it would be extreamly difficult.  For a study off effectiveness of a permit against that type of thing i could maybe see it.  But to do it for training value i think would be a waste.  There are lots of life like scenarious that are statisticly more likey to happen to you than an active shooter.  training time would be better spent focusing on those.  Also for a crowded theatre in TN the odds of only 1 person aving a gun are slim.  Permit holders make up about 6 percent of the 21 and up population in TN.  If you want realism then the numer of people armed should be accurate to what the real worl would be.  If you did it you could probably do best cae and worst case.  one run at 6 percent one run at 1 person.

I know several members of that 6% that don't carry anymore, or only rarely. Plus add in all the grumpy old men who never go to theaters..... ;)

Seriously though, if you have 100 people in the room, I doubt 6 will be carrying the majority of the time.

Thats what I was thinking. If 10 to 20 people show, one gunman/citizen would be about the best we could hope for.

The main goal is to get people out of the "I can shoot that guy without getting shot, without shooting anyone else, and be a hero mentality." I hope it turns out that way, but from what I've seen/read it would be a lot quicker, more violent and more messy. I don't want to discourage anyone from carrying everywhere as I think we all should, but I think realizing the truth in such a situation is necessary. I know a lot of people that can get a nice group standing still without pressure. I want people to realize it won't be the same or that easy. Now people might say " I know it will be harder" but from my conversations with a few people, they may not. Even if they know that it will be different, how do they practice differently. If they don't practice hitting moving targets from cover, how do they expect to hit a moving target with little chance of being hit?

I just wanted people to think outside the box a tad, have some fun, and may some of us (including me) could learn a little something for cheap. I'd love to go to one of these tactical pistol seminars but I can't afford $450! Edited by bigbabysweets