Wanting to try deer hunting

Hello all,

I've hunted only small game up to this point (squirrel and rabbit) and am wanting to get myself ready to try deer hunting this next season.

I would like to ask the forum for suggestions on reading/classes/resources to help me prepare to be safe and successful.

Thanks,

Greg.

Should I assume you have your hunter safety course? There is alot of information on the web to help you get started. Google "how to hunt deer" and go from there. Try to aviod watching "yahoo's" hunting deer on You Tube. It will only lead to problems.

What is your experience level? Want to hunt with bow? Gun? Muzzleloader? Public land? Private? Give us a little back ground about yourself, and we can all better help you.

Dave S

Find a deer hunter local that would mentor you,its a great sport but don't believe everything you read in the hunting mags,expect to not get a deer the first year.If you do its a bonus but wont make you a know all lol.Take a book with you & enjoy the time alone with some friends close by if you need some help.Hope you enjoy the trips :)

Edited by mike243

I took a hunter safety course 30 years ago. Plan to take another one soon.

Did some bow hunting back when I was in college in west Tennessee. Not really interested in that anymore.

Looking to do some rifle hunting (picking up a Ruger American .243 next week). Currently I have a .30-06, but I don't want to lug it around. I have the opportunity to hunt this next season on private land, but wouldn't mind finding some hunts on public land.

I've done a lot of searching on the internet, but have been disappointed with the content (youtube is not the place to learn as I have discovered, no pun intended). I was looking for more of a local flavor of wisdom for deer hunting in TN and the surronding area.

Thanks,

Greg.

One of our Great Moderators lives in your area (The Hunting Board Moderator). Maybe Shaun will will pipe up, and ya'll two can meet for coffee somewhere. It's much easier that way than typing. If not, I'll start typing or PM you my number and fill your head with knowledge! LOL

Dave S

I'm in the same boat. I had hoped to be ready this past year, but the hunter safety courses had all filled up by the time I checked into them. I'm angling toward just rifle season, preferably on private land. Been shooting for close to 40 years, done some bird hunting in the past (grouse and pheasant). My current rifle options are .357 lever gun and .243 Savage bolt action (need a scope for this one). Real life got in the way this past season with the passing of my father in law. Going to start getting ready way in advance for next season. 

One of our Great Moderators lives in your area (The Hunting Board Moderator). Maybe Shaun will will pipe up, and ya'll two can meet for coffee somewhere. It's much easier that way than typing. If not, I'll start typing or PM you my number and fill your head with knowledge! LOL

Dave S

Hey anytime I can talk about hunting im in. Been busy putting up blinds and working out on the farms, gonna get an early jump on deer season. Been out this mornin trying to get my 8 year old daughter a turkey. Headed to Academy Sports to pick up a few things now and then we headed back to the blind this afternoon. Greg shoot me a pm and we can talk since your in the boro as well. I'm good at telling lies so I have plenty to talk about LOL.

Edited by ShaunM
  • Like 1

Start now.  Scout the area.  Learn what deer are there and what they do.  Spend as much time as possible on the land you are hunting until you know it like the back of your hand.  Find a good place to build a stand or blind.  Personally I prefer blinds.  I'll hunt out of stands but I've probably killed more deer from the ground than from a tree.  Keep an eye out for pattern changes but keep in mind that deer need food and water, find where they are bedding and find where they funnel towards food and water, this is an ideal place for your stand.  Don't worry about buying fancy hunting accessories.  Buy good boots and a good knife instead.  You don't need all of the latest calls and scents, they are mostly a waste of money.  Camoflauge is not necessary, just make sure you are comfortable.  .243 or 30-06 either will work fine.  You will kill more deer if you learn the land and learn the deer, and just spend time in the woods (learning to sit still will not hurt either) than you will buying all the latest gadgets.  Deer hunting is neither hard,expensive, or complicated but the support industry has made it seem that way.    

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1

Good advice, 10-Ring. I share that philosophy in my day job, which is a very tech oriented field. I resist the urge to have the newest bell or whistle and concentrate on squeezing the most juice out the gear I have until I reach a point where it isn't able to do what I ask it to.

I need to find some private land to hunt on, think I have a good shot with my wife's cousin who has a large amount of acreage in Giles County and they hunt as well.

Greg,

I'm in the same boat too.
10 ring has it right.

Best way to get ready to deer hunt is to hunt Turkey, then hunt squirrel, hunt Coyote....
You'll know your land quite well after that and get woodsmanship skills.

That's what I'm doing anyway....hunting on a friends private land.
Get a Topo map, a notebook and some Binoculars.
Read some books on Tracking and on Whitetail hunting.

I'm going to be out in Bowhunting season as well.
By the time Rifle/Deer rolls around I should be in pretty good shape.
Deer hunting is hard work. Its easy to get discouraged, you can go years without seeing a deer. It can also be boring, get a good chair or tree stand to nap in. I would highly recommend archery and muzzle loader season also. While rifle is definitely the best season (long shots etc) it can also be the harshest.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2