CTD 9mm ammo; Am I reading this right???

been buying from them for years.  Since way back when they sold milsurp supplies by mail order.

The price is what the market will bear.   How good of a business model is that?  Capitalism might be the term.

If you don't like it don't buy. I ain't buying it. But when I need and they have the best price I buy.

You are completely correct - that IS capitalism. And what I am currently demonstrating (and will continue to demonstrate) is free will. to not give them any of my money!

Edited by MarkInNashville

You are completely correct - that IS capitalism. And what I am currently demonstrating (and will continue to demonstrate) is free will. to not give them any of my money!

see, it is a win win situation.

• Like 1

I have no problem with them fleecing the morons that are willing to pay the price.  My problem is all the fear mongering they push through their emails and on the front of their magazines saying this will be banned, that will be banned, buy now before you can't...end of the world/sky is falling BS.  Fear mongering is a sleazy tactic no matter what your peddling.

edit:  because of that reason I will never buy from them...too many good companies out there like aim, brownells, and midway that don't try to scare the crap out of the consumer with bogus info and still give reasonable prices.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
  • Like 1

I have no problem with them fleecing the morons that are willing to pay the price.  My problem is all the fear mongering they push through their emails and on the front of their magazines saying this will be banned, that will be banned, buy now before you can't...end of the world/sky is falling BS.  Fear mongering is a sleazy tactic no matter what your peddling.

edit:  because of that reason I will never buy from them...too many good companies out there like aim, brownells, and midway that don't try to scare the crap out of the consumer with bogus info and still give reasonable prices.

Glad you don't object to their high priced ammo, just their tactics  ;)

• Like 1

THIS IS NOT CAPITALISM. The main component that makes capitalism work is a laissez-faire policy by the feds. We do NOT have a hands-off economy from which the gov't is not meddling. The gov't is drastically throwing off the balance of the ammo market. The artificial demand you see is a DIRECT result of threats by the gov't to pass harmful laws. How can supply and demand meet at a mutually agreed upon price when there is a constant threat from Obama to trample our rights?

In a true capitalist market, CTD could no afford to price their ammo this high because NOBODY would buy. There would be enough supply that ANYONE could find an alternative source. You can argue that this is temporary and they're priced like this while the market seeks balance, but only new markets need to seek balance. The ammo market is unbalanced because we don't have a reliable administration/congress in Washington.

CTD is acting in a self-serving manner which is also required for capitalism to work, but it's coming from a false direction. They don't have pallets of this overpriced ammo to move. They have a very limited amount with no expectation to reliably replace it. That is the only reason they are gouging their customers. Again, artificial demand fueled by fear of gov't interference is why they are selling $60 boxes of ammo...NOT capitalism. $60 boxes of ammo are a symptom of a free society...not a free market. Edited by BigK
  • Like 3
Guest TN.Frank
It should be pretty clear to all of us by now that the government isn't going to pass any new firearms legislation in the way of bans so WHY IN HECK is everyone still pricing stuff like it's already been banned? Guys are still jacking up the price on mags and guns like they've been banned and they're the only game in town, which they're not. Ammo and reloading components are still in short supply and when you do find them the price is inflated. I think we all just need to stop buying for a month, let supply catch back up and then prices will come back down to normal and we can slowly start buying again at regular prices.
As long as WE keep panic buying then THEY will keep jacking up the prices and supply will not be able to keep up with demand.
Let's all just take a time out here and let things settle down a bit.

It should be pretty clear to all of us by now that the government isn't going to pass any new firearms legislation in the way of bans so WHY IN HECK is everyone still pricing stuff like it's already been banned? Guys are still jacking up the price on mags and guns like they've been banned and they're the only game in town, which they're not. Ammo and reloading components are still in short supply and when you do find them the price is inflated. I think we all just need to stop buying for a month, let supply catch back up and then prices will come back down to normal and we can slowly start buying again at regular prices.
As long as WE keep panic buying then THEY will keep jacking up the prices and supply will not be able to keep up with demand.

I think you're absolutely correct. This isn't like gas/groceries that we can't do without. However, most of this panic buying comes from fear and that's a hard thing to overcome.
Guest Sgt. Joe

I got this in an email a few weeks ago and while I have not yet bought from any of the companies it does seem to constantly update. Just click top of page for the caliber that you are looking for. I have watched stuff become available and then be gone in minutes.

And sure enough from the site right now.

9x19mm TulFMJ 115 Grain 50 Round Box 1150 fps Made in Russia Polymer Coated Steel Case $1.39/rd [$69.59] [in stock] [CheaperThanDirt]

And while certainly not cheap, at least cheaper.....

9mm 115 Grain FMJ Sellier & Bellot - 50 Rounds $1.02/rd [$50.99] [in stock] [Surplus Ammo]

Updated since I started this post......

Winchester Ranger LE 9mm +P+ 127gr T-Series - 50 Rounds <1 min ago $1.05/rd [$52.50] [in stock] [Ventura Munitions]

I hope this site helps you guys, I will likely order some next week for whatever the best price I can find is, that is about all anyone can do these days.

I dislike the high prices as much as the next guy but as Mike says this is how our system works, if no one would pay the high prices they would come down but so long as folks do pay them they will continue to go up until folks quit buying. For what it is worth it is the American way.

I also watched a vid a few days ago that explained that more ammo than ever is being put to market these days but it is mostly us gun owners that are hoarding it that is keeping it in short supply on the shelves. That and the fact that there are more and more new gun owners each day. Right now we are our own enemy as far as ammo prices. I know folks who think that they must have 10K rounds of every caliber that they own and IMO that is their business, personally I dont need to keep near that much but do like to be able to replace what I shoot and thus I have not shot as much lately as I would like to.

As far as I understand it the ammo manufacturers are at max capacity and if they build a new factory and demand stays the same they will do well but if they build that factory and something changes the demand they would be risking a loss so they are doing like most of us and sitting back to see what is going to happen in the future before investing anymore in making ammo. If we all KNEW that prices would double in the next year we would all likely be buying all that we could even at these prices, but since we dont know a lot of us are not, it is pretty much the same with the ammo companies.

Only one old man's opinion.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Regardless that I said the American way I wholeheartedly agree with you all.

THIS IS NOT CAPITALISM. The main component that makes capitalism work is a laissez-faire policy by the feds. We do NOT have a hands-off economy from which the gov't is not meddling. The gov't is drastically throwing off the balance of the ammo market. The artificial demand you see is a DIRECT result of threats by the gov't to pass harmful laws. How can supply and demand meet at a mutually agreed upon price when there is a constant threat from Obama to trample our rights?

In a true capitalist market, CTD could no afford to price their ammo this high because NOBODY would buy. There would be enough supply that ANYONE could find an alternative source. You can argue that this is temporary and they're priced like this while the market seeks balance, but only new markets need to seek balance. The ammo market is unbalanced because we don't have a reliable administration/congress in Washington.

CTD is acting in a self-serving manner which is also required for capitalism to work, but it's coming from a false direction. They don't have pallets of this overpriced ammo to move. They have a very limited amount with no expectation to reliably replace it. That is the only reason they are gouging their customers. Again, artificial demand fueled by fear of gov't interference is why they are selling $60 boxes of ammo...NOT capitalism. $60 boxes of ammo are a symptom of a free society...not a free market.

I think you're absolutely correct. This isn't like gas/groceries that we can't do without. However, most of this panic buying comes from fear and that's a hard thing to overcome.