375 H&H Loading Question

I am going to start reloading for my 375 H&H.  The obvious reason is to reduce the cost of ammo of course.  I can find ammo (no one seems to be hoarding this caliber) but it is darned expensive.  Of course my friends ask why I would bother shooting such a punishing round but that discussion can wait for another time ;-)

I have brass, various powders, bullets that I want to use but I only have standard large rifle primers.  I have been unable to find any magnum large rifle primers.  I do have 200 old Winchester large rifle primers that are labeled for "standard and magnum loads".  So, do any of you have any pet loads for the 375 H&H using standard primers?  My bullet weights are 260 grain and up.  I know a full load of ball powder needs a magnum primer for reliable ignition.  Do any powders used in the 375 work ok with standard primers?  Most of what I have is IMR and Hodgdon powders.

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We always used magnum primers (...CCI....) with the 300 grain spitzer boat tails and IMR 4350.  They would shoot a cloverleaf at about 60 or so yards out of an iron sighted remington 700 safari shooting prone off a roll if ya could see and hold it steady.  Look for some older (...70's to early 80's lyman reloading handbooks for the "accuracy load"....) handbooks for load details.  The 375 is very accurate if you can stand the "other end" of it.

leroy

I am going to start reloading for my 375 H&H.  The obvious reason is to reduce the cost of ammo of course.  I can find ammo (no one seems to be hoarding this caliber) but it is darned expensive.  Of course my friends ask why I would bother shooting such a punishing round but that discussion can wait for another time ;-)

I have brass, various powders, bullets that I want to use but I only have standard large rifle primers.  I have been unable to find any magnum large rifle primers.  I do have 200 old Winchester large rifle primers that are labeled for "standard and magnum loads".  So, do any of you have any pet loads for the 375 H&H using standard primers?  My bullet weights are 260 grain and up.  I know a full load of ball powder needs a magnum primer for reliable ignition.  Do any powders used in the 375 work ok with standard primers?  Most of what I have is IMR and Hodgdon powders.

Thanks

Bruno's has the magnum large rifle primers in stock.  http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSS&Product_Code=FED215  but you must order a minimum of 3,000 primers. I'm sure that you can mix them and order some other primers that you may need now or in the future to get up to the 3,000 mark. Or maybe split the order with your buddies.

Edited by vff

When they say #215 "Standard" Large Rifle Magnum it's to differentiate them from the #215M "Match" Large Rifle Magnum. just so there's no misunderstanding. The 215 is a Large Rifle Magnum primer and is what you need.

Edited by vff