School me on 45 ACP semi-wadcutters

I have some Bayou 185 and 200 gr swc bullets that I'd like to start developing a load for a 1911 this weekend.

Any pointers or special considerations with swc? I've read that they can be more finicky about OAL. All the 45 I've loaded has been round nose stuff.

Any favorite swc loads? I've got WSF, WST, and Bullseye to play with. Edited by AdotOdot4

(if this is LEAD bullets) Thanks to Dolomite on this forum, I gave Lee Alox a try.  It virtually eliminated my leading problems.   Using the EXACT same load - I went from needing at least 20-30 passes with a brush/patches to get the leading out to 2 passes and the bore was like new.  I was utterly amazed!

After some load development, I use 3.8 grains of Bullseye for my 200 grain lswc.  It'll bring 2-3 inches at 25 yards using a sw1911.  (gun is somewhat 'benched' (I rest my arms on a towel))  I'm not a good pistol shooter.  (45 acp does seem to be more forgiving than other calibers to reload.  That's what took so long to settle on this load.  They all seemed 'good'.  I like it somewhat light but there were sub 3 inch groups all the way to 5.6 grains of Bullseye.  I stopped there but there were still no pressure signs).  3.8 is light enough that my groups print 2 inches low at 25 though.  4.5 and up's POI is right at POA at 25. 

To check the OAL of the cartridge, I take my barrel out and slip the bullet in there to make sure they fit and the back of the cartridge is level.

All I shoot in my 45's are either Lee 190 or 200 gr SWC's. I found the trick to seating depth is not worry as much about an OAL number, but to seat the boolit till only about 1/16" of the shoulder is out of the case. Keep seating deeper till it fits your chamber perfectly, then lock it down on the die. Mine feed and shoot great.

• Like 1