marlin 795

Guest tangojuliet

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Were it me, I'd try to add another $50 and opt for the classic walnut Ruger 10/22. 

There's nothing wrong with the 795, though. 

Concur totally.

Although the 10/22 basic carbine model isn't walnut, have to go to the pricier Sporter model to get that.  The carbine comes with "hardwood" (which is birch) or polymer stock, same price.

- OS

• Admin Team

Concur totally.

Although the 10/22 basic carbine model isn't walnut, have to go to the pricier Sporter model to get that.  The carbine comes with "hardwood" (which is birch) or polymer stock, same price.

- OS

Hmm.  How times change, I guess.  I just saw a new model with a birch stock that was pretty nice, then. 

To the OP, I look at the comparison in two ways.  First, during normal times, you can walk into any gun shop or sporting goods store in America and find magazines and accessories for your 10/22 at a reasonable price.  If you ever want to "upgrade", there may not be another platform save the AR-15 for which as many aftermarket parts have been made.  Second, I look at it simply.  There are a lot of .22s in my safe.  We shoot a lot.  The 10/22 carbine that I got for my 13th birthday is still one that I reach for and still gets shot in heavy rotation.  I can't say that for a lot of others sitting there.

Hmm.  How times change, I guess.  I just saw a new model with a birch stock that was pretty nice, then. 

Oh, the birch can look very nice, some of it has a nifty grain structure, no two alike really.

Was somewhere in early 1980s, maybe before that, when they switched from walnut to birch on the basic 10/22. Nothing really wrong with birch, though, heck even most Garands are AFAIK and they've held up pert well. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest tangojuliet

Were it me, I'd try to add another $50 and opt for the classic walnut Ruger 10/22. 

There's nothing wrong with the 795, though. 

i dont like the 10/22 shot a friends of mine i didnt like it ....

Well, the 795 has sling studs on it, so that's a plus.

Again, nothing wrong with it at all if it speaks to you in some way the Ruger doesn't.

No factory hi-cap magazines, AFAIK, dunno if aftermarket ones are any good or not.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest tangojuliet

Well, the 795 has sling studs on it, so that's a plus.

Again, nothing wrong with it at all if it speaks to you in some way the Ruger doesn't.

No factory hi-cap magazines, AFAIK, dunno if aftermarket ones are any good or not.

- OS

ya it just doesnt feel right to me compared to the marlin 

I have a love/hate relationship with my 795.

I've got Tech Sights, DIP trigger and reworked the sear and it is a pretty sweet shooting rifle.
However I've also broken 3 firing pins, the plastic stock is junk, and I had to file the dovetail straight and to the proper width.