Favorite Garand Loads?

Guest fastreb

Guest fastreb

While I've reloaded for the .30-06 for awhile, I've just started loading for the Garand specifically? The load I started with was Win cases, Horn 150gr. FMJBT, 47.0 grs of IMR-4895 and CCI #34 primers. This load was giving me some very good groups with just a little more than 2,700 fps over the chrono. The Garand was a SA with ser #584XXXX. From the best I can tell, it was probably manufactured in late 1955 - early 1956 and shot very little before being put in storage. Since it's in great condition, I don't want to beat it to death with maxed out loads. I'm thinking of bumping up the charge maybe to 47.5 grs of IMR-4895 and checking the accuracy again. If it's still shooting as well as the first load, I'll probably stop right there. However, seeing as how this last round of gun control talks emptied the shelves of everything, I'd like to have one or two more powder choices/loads that would be close. Anyone have their favorite load they'd share?

I am new here but not new to reloading. The NRA posted loads for the Garand years ago and it is still relevant. Also, if you look at the CMP forum you will find a lot of information. For me, I would load IMR4895 & H4895 with a 150 grain fmj. The load would depend on whether you are using LC brass or commercial. I can lookm it up for you, but it is easy to find.

http://masterpostemple.bravepages.com/M1load.htm  You should obey these loads to avoid damaging the op rod.

Just my opinion

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.