First gun for kids?

G27

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownsdd

bolt action, single shot. When my daughter was starting out hunting with me, I would carry the bolt in my pocket and put it in when we got to the place we were going to hunt. She learned how to handle it without me having to worry about a shell in the chamber or an accidental firing.

Took my boy to RangeUSA yesterday for a little training - he LOVED it. The Crickett performed flawlessly with the Remington .22LR ammo. He started off shooting a bit high, but after I worked on his stance a bit he started shooting nicely. This was only @ 10', but I'm proud of how well he handled it and how serious he was about safety...

First_target.JPG

That's awesome Crimson! Now you need to post a pic of your son shooting the rifle ;)

My boy will be four in a couple months and I plan on teaching him to shoot this spring/summer with a Red Ryder BB gun and then hopefully by fall I'll let him shoot a .22 rifle. I've got a Browning .22 lever action for him already.....but I just might pick up one like you got since it's smaller and would be easier for him to handle.

That's awesome Crimson! Now you need to post a pic of your son shooting the rifle ;)

Heh, sorry - call me paranoid, but I don't post pics of my kid(s) online.

My boy will be four in a couple months and I plan on teaching him to shoot this spring/summer with a Red Ryder BB gun and then hopefully by fall I'll let him shoot a .22 rifle. I've got a Browning .22 lever action for him already.....but I just might pick up one like you got since it's smaller and would be easier for him to handle.

Yah, we spent some time over at Hero Gear letting him hold some different rifles and while he's a good sized kid for his age, the Crickett was the only one that really fit him. And they're on sale at Dick's for $129!

My 8 yr old loves to shoot. He has a Red Rider BB gun that fits him perfectly. AND he can shoot it in the back yard (considering that we can't shoot firearms within city limits).

When we go to our range, I let him shoot my 2 Ruger Bearcats. They fit his hands and toy gun holster perfectly.

He's really not big enough to shoot my Marlin .22 rifle. His arms aren't long enough, yet.

I've looked at the crickets. The price is great and they come in different colored composite stock colors.

My 4 yr old daughter would love a pink one.

This would be a great pick for the kid whose younger than say, 12 yrs old.;)

I've heard that H&R make shotguns with youth stocks.

Guest Guitarsnguns
My first gun was a Savage over and under with a .22 Long Rifle on top and .410 on the bottom. Still think that is a good combo for kids.

Mine was the .22 / 20 guage. Passed that one down to my son when he was 9. He still has it. Kinda long and heavy for smaller children though. My son and I were tall kids.

Mine was the .22 / 20 guage. Passed that one down to my son when he was 9. He still has it. Kinda long and heavy for smaller children though. My son and I were tall kids.

I'm thinking of a combo for when he get s little bigger, not sure yet. Very happy with the Crickett so far, though!

Guest deut20:16

I bought my son a crickett for his 6th birthday last month. I was in the gun store with him and we tried Marlins,Mossberg, and Rossi youth models and the crickett was the one that fit him,thats what matters. It shoots really good and he's doing well with it.

Guest RISC777
When I was growing up I started with a decent pellet gun, I think you can get the basics down pretty well with that. Once I learned how to be safe I moved on to a 410 and a youth model Remington 20 guage. In my opinion a properly sized shotgun is the way to go. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/youth/

Then again I never did much range shooting. I grew up in the country shooting birds and such. I think you will get 1000 different answers for this.

Ive still got that shotgun and it will be my sons first "real" gun as well.

Pellet guns are good to start with for the introductory safety learning, true, or any old BB gun for that matter.

A firearm that involves powder and a bullet - .22 rifle (no scope); bolt or semi (bolt action is the safest for all involved). Virtually no recoil. Can shoot a cinder block, a leaf or pine cone, a branch, a can/bottle/... any 'ole target. (Squirrels! ~GRIN~) Semi is to be watched closer than a bolt at the beginning as far as learning in-general firearm safety goes. Emphasize use of the safety. Emphasize the questions, "Where is the barrel pointing Right Now?" and, "Where is your trigger finger?" and, "Are you Sure it's not loaded?"

22 compared to a 410 due to recoil would be my decision. Though a 410 for sure is the best step into shotguns for the younger ones.

edit:

talk about not reading through the entire thread....sheesh @ me

Edited by RISC777

I bought my son a Crickett .22LR from Hero Gear. I let him talk to the guys there and find the perfect fit. He shoots great with it. When we can't make it to the range, I let him shoot a BB gun in my back yard. I make him treat both guns the same to stay consistant with safety. The hardest part was keeping him from running "down range" to see where his round/BB hit. For this, I bought him a set of binoculars. I believe Santa will be delivering a spotting scope to better his view. :P

I can't wait until my SBR approval. He already wants to shoot it.:D

Guest Runnfree

I bought my 15yold daughter a Walther P22. It is small enough for her to handle and very easy to shoot. Right now only dry firing to teach her how to use the gun, number 1 is safety. I plan on taking her out next weekend to shoot.