Visiting your state

Guest derrabe

Guest derrabe

Greetings,

I will be visiting Gatlinburg from Michigan (has a Michigan ccw) for the next week and I am trying to make heads of tales where I can and can not carry.  From looking at the info I can find online it looks like court houses and school property is off limits, but there is a part about parks/play grounds and such that is a little confusing, can a person with a valid ccw carry in parks ETC?  

Can someone provide me with a brief list of no carry allow places?

Do no guns signs carry weight of law?

Do you have stand your ground?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance the quicker the response the better since I am heading your way at 6am in the morning.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, welcome to the forum and eventually to the State of Tennessee.

As for carrying, In the national park it is ok to carry just keep in mind the buildings on site are federal buildings and do not allow carry.

No guns signs have to clearly state no firearms on premises and have a gunbuster( so I have learned). I would leave your gun in your vehicle if you come across a sign, just in case.

There is No "stand your ground" clause in TN.

TN has open of concealed carry, i would recommend conceal carry just in case. Even though we have both, a lot less incidents can be avoided if you conceal.

I'msure someone with more info will chime in soon. But hope this at least helps.

Edited by Wyldk2

First, thanks for vacationing here. We love to get Yankee dollars.  :)

Your permit from MI is valid here, but we don't require it to be concealed. With the permit, you can be open or concealed, so don't worry too much about printing or your cover shirt riding up. We're cool with that here.

• No carry on schools or any place a judge is holding court. This includes any location being used by a school, but since it's summer, you should be OK.*
  • Proper no-gun signs carry  the weight or law. Here "proper" means they have to be the "gunbuster" circle and slash OR must cite the TN law. A basic "No guns allowed" sign isn't legally binding, but the Attorney General may not agree with me on that.
  • We have no duty to retreat in TN

City/county parks vary from county to county, but I think Sevier Co. where you'll be would have to post the entrance to the parks for them to be off limits. Someone from over that way will be along shortly to clarify that.

State parks are OK even if you see a sign saying otherwise. Those are old signs that the parks dep't wasn't required to change (too much $).

National Parks (Great Smokey Mts) are OK as long as you don't carry where the rangers work, which is most buildings up there. They did a good job of posting them with the gunbuster sticker, so just watch for that.

*There are exceptions, but for a visitor, don't worry about them. Treat them as no-gun zones.

Guest derrabe

Oh yeah here in Michigan we have a duty to inform an officer if we are armed when being detained, it looks like you are not required to in Tenn.  Would it hurt anything if we do disclose out of habit is say pulled over for some car related incident (tail light out etc)

Also by gun busters do you mean something like a no smoking sign with a cigerette in the center of a circle with a line through it?

Edited by derrabe

Oh yeah here in Michigan we have a duty to inform an officer if we are armed when being detained, it looks like you are not required to in Tenn.  Would it hurt anything if we do disclose out of habit is say pulled over for some car related incident (tail light out etc)

Also by gun busters do you mean something like a no smoking sign with a cigerette in the center of a circle with a line through it?

No duty to inform but probably a good idea. LEOs here are used to handgun carry permit holders for the most part, so its unlikely you will be jerked out of the car at gunpoint if you announce you are carrying.

Gunbuster sign is a gun witb a red line through it like the no smoking sign you mentioned.
Guest derrabe

thank you for all the quick answers.  Now time to get some sleep long drive ahead of me if I have any more questions while I am in your state I will stop back and ask.  Thanks again