Pure Detroit

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad but true. I was visiting in-laws there a few years ago and have never heard the words rerouting so much in my life. Luckily my in-laws have since moved and I have no worries. It is a crazy place.

I lived in Metro Detroit in the early 2000's. I love that city but could never live in Detroit proper, it's a hell hole other than the downtown tourist area (Ford Field, Joe Louis Arena, Comerica Park etc...).

It's the ultimate symbol of what this country is headed towards with the culture of government reliance that is growing every day.

Guest TankerHC

I know no one will believe this (Because its Detroit), but back in the early 80's one of my brothers decided before he would start work he wanted to hitch across the country, ended up doing it back and forth 3 times. (he was 18). Started in Beaumont Texas. Was telling me when he got to Detroit, he took three days and walked across the city, day and night, never bothered, wasnt a bit worried. Said his biggest problem was once he got downtown it was a long azz walk to get to an area where he could catch a ride because the cops enforced the no hitchhiking law. When he was downtown on the second day, had no money, he made his money getting across the country by polishing truck tanks and wheels at truck stops, told me they used to pay good money for that. . For showers he would stop in at truck stops and the truckers would give him their extra shower tickets.

When he was downtown Detroit, with no money, he got hungry and stopped in a restaraunt and spoke with the owner. The owner let him eat there for lunch and dinner in exchange for washing dishes until the next evening. The next evening he walked through Detroit all night to get to an on ramp where he could catch a ride.

Wonder if you could do that today?