Anyone tried DRT Ammo?

This stuff is supposed to be a compressed powder that expels all of the bullet's energy into the target when it hits moisture(no exit wound). Sounds like an ideal hunting round. I've read some very positive reviews as well as some reviews that don't seem completely convinced. Anybody with real world experience who can enlighten me either to pros or cons of this ammo?
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some "interesting" videos of this ammo on YouTube.

It reminds me, on a certain level, of the early MagSafe and Glaser rounds. I know those rounds used chilled shot, and in the case of MagSafe, epoxy. fwiw Joe Zambone, MagSafe inventor published his "recipe" in a handgun mag a few years before it was manufactured...I made up quite a few for a .44 spl Bulldog Pug. They were nasty as far as expansion on small game...like armadillos...but offered limited penetration.

I treated a guy shot with a .38 spl Glaser round...many, many years ago. He was wearing a leather jacket and so there was virtually no penetration into his chest wall...but he had a hell of a nasty surface wound. (Officer involved shooting in South MS).

The DRT videos of a buck being shot called for a 1:12 twist rate to stabilize. Makes sense I guess...but it really limits your options. I see this as a very narrow application tool...a niche tool if you will.

I'll stick with tried and true ammo. Accuracy and penetration into the vitals has carried the day thus far.

Besides, I'd hate to try an explain this ammo selection in court: "Your Honor,Regular self defense ammo wasn't enough for this wanton killer. He choose to use Dead Right There ammo!"...eh...No Thanks.

:2cents:

Thought it sounded a little gimmicky, but I wondered if anyone had any real experience with it. Guess I'll stick to more tried and true stuff until t here is more info on it.

Reviews online seem to either like it or really didn't have an opinion. Needed more testing.