Quality Ground Blind

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Here it is only August, and I'm already gearing up for deer season. This one is going to be extra special, because it will be the first year that my son will join me, and possibly will even hunt some. I recently picked up a Rossi Youth .243 / 20g two-barrel combo for him, at a heckuva price. Anyway, I'm now looking for a good quality hunting blind that we can share. I've already destroyed the piece of junk we had from Dick's sporting goods, and need a little better quality this time around. :mad::mad:

Curious to know what brand you guys have used, and what you thought of them. I know that you can't go wrong with Double Bull, but I won't drop $300-$400 for those. So, what's next in line for you?

Consider these things.

1. quality of construction

2. portability

3. size

4. cost / reputation

5. experience

And photographs will as always be AWESOME!

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of options. I don't know where or how you hunt but either will work.

If this is an area you do not go to often, get the burlap tarp from Wally world or burlap in sections that are about 15 feet or longer. Then you simply pick a spot with two or three trees with space between them and use paracord to tie it up to them. Your mobile, its easy to fold up and pack and can be used over and over. Leave the burlap out in the sun and rain for a few weeks before use.

Now, if you hunt areas over and over, select two good trees and put a ladder stand up for the young one, climb up with them and strap them in and either put another ladder stand up nearby or do what I do, use my climber. I have attached to a tree right next to the ladder and twice I just attached to the same tree on the side of the ladders attachments so I could coach my buddy.

Bass Pro usually has ladder stands on sale around now every year. I got three for 79.00 each a few years back.

Guest Mugster

Walmart had a kind of a tent blind for about $40 last year, that I picked up. Its got steel flex poles in it and works pretty good. I say pretty good because deer do avoid it. Its more of a turkey kind of a blind. I hunted it a couple days, and it keeps the wind off of ya pretty good.

I got one of those for Christmas from a relative last year....its still in the box and works the best there. Things that appear out of place on the forest floor generally won't pass the wildlife test. They don't see the smaller print of a ladder stand. Once you pile some leaves and twigs on and around the burlap ground blind it blends in like a fallen tree that has its root ball exposed. Think of it as a big ghille suit for two. My boy got his first deer last fall sitting behind our burlap wall and I used a similar one years ago before getting into ladder stands and climbers.

I forgot to mention, the two person ladder stands are very dad/son friendly. Two of my boys and I have hunted from the one we have for both turkey and deer.

Get up off the ground if at all possible. You will be more comfortable as well.

Even my wife went hunting (well she looked around until getting cold) because of the buddy stand.

DSCF0008.jpg

But she went during bow season and liked it better

DSCF0060.jpg

Guess most of what I'm saying is if she can take it, then your boy will love it!

Guest Mugster
I got one of those for Christmas from a relative last year....its still in the box and works the best there. Things that appear out of place on the forest floor generally won't pass the wildlife test. They don't see the smaller print of a ladder stand. Once you pile some leaves and twigs on and around the burlap ground blind it blends in like a fallen tree that has its root ball exposed. Think of it as a big ghille suit for two. My boy got his first deer last fall sitting behind our burlap wall and I used a similar one years ago before getting into ladder stands and climbers.

I forgot to mention, the two person ladder stands are very dad/son friendly. Two of my boys and I have hunted from the one we have for both turkey and deer.

Get up off the ground if at all possible. You will be more comfortable as well.

Even my wife went hunting (well she looked around until getting cold) because of the buddy stand.

DSCF0008.jpg

But she went during bow season and liked it better

DSCF0060.jpg

Guess most of what I'm saying is if she can take it, then your boy will love it!

I'll buy that.

I've got a good spot for that ground blind in the middle of a triangle of trees. I believe with a little extra camo i can get it to work in that one spot. So it might eb a good buy depending on what you want to do.

Guest Grizzly Johnson

I bought a blind from Cabela's that is basically Identical to the Double Bull blinds at less than half the cost. I paid $130 for it and it has the zip out windows with removable mesh screens, and a roof flap you can unzip to open. It pops up and folds down very easily and came with it's own carry bag. It is fairly water tight and works well in the predator camo. These blinds are by Primos Ground MAX (1) is the Predator Den $130 (the one I have) and (1) is the Vision Blind $200. I like the Double Bull blinds but like I said before these are just as good and on my kind of budget. They are both at Cabela's item # MX-41-8584, # MX-41-8585 respectivly. Hope this helps........I love mine!!!!

Guest tokarev

In have a ground blind that I picked up at Walmart many years ago. Called the Outhouse by Ameristep I's about 5 1/2 ft on the side and 6 1/2 ft tall. 4 windows and the rear one opens to the ground for wheelchairs if needed. Weighs maybe 8#s. Folds into a round bag (look like a camo ninja turle with it on my back ;-)

Waterproof. I use a folding stool or an umbrella chair inside. I've used it for squirrels and deer. Squirrels have climbed up saplings trying to look in (so easy to put a .22 from a handgun to it's head at that range) Once snuck out a ways to take a leak and when I came back I found doe's feeding around it and one poking it's head inside. (Bucks only at that time or I could have got my deer from OUTSIDE of the blind. hah!)

It cost 90 bucks when I got it and the price was less than $40 the following year. meh!

There's a larger model called the Penthouse that I found on Amazon for about $150

http://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-810-Tangle-Penthouse-Blind/dp/B000BSZDTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1219338816&sr=8-1

It looks to be big enough for two. Enjoy your time hunting with your children.