Holster Fit

Guest Linoge

Guest Linoge

Could not really decide if this should go here, or in the CCW forum. Anywise, I had to go against the grain again, and instead of a Crossbreed, I went with a HBE Leatherworks Pro TL Tuckable holster. Granted, I just got this thing today, so the leather has not had a chance to loosen up and do what leather does best, but here is the question: How snug are your holsters to your body? Even on the tightest comfortable belt notch, there is about a .5 inch gap between my back and the clip wing of the holster (this is with the firearm placed at a 4ish o'clock position). Is this normal, or was a single-clip holster yet another of my not-so-shiny ideas?

W00t for newbie questions! :D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

I'm not a fan of single-clip holsters... and while it's new I'm sure the leather will mold to your body's countours more over time. However, I would have opted for the Crossbreed out of those two choices.

If I had my pick of an IWB holster... I would have chosen a Milt Sparks VMII (had I wanted to wait for a few months) or the Comp-Tac/Minotaur MTAC holster which you can have in a week's time. There's a reason why everyone loves their MTAC. :D

Edited by Verbal Kint
Guest Boomhower
a single-clip holster yet another of my not-so-shiny ideas?

:D

IMHO.....single clips are nice for quick grab-n-go's, but they just don't offer the steady support of a double clip holster. I definetly wouldn't throw it away though :lol:...Post some pics!!

Here's an idea. Order a M.T.A.C (worth EVERY penny) and compare it to the single clip. You'll get it in about a week, and they have (IIRC) a 30 day money back no questions asked garentee. All your out is the 6 or 8 bucks it cost you to ship it back.

I have a Galco IWB with a single clip, but it isn't anything like a Crossbreed or MTAC. It has the clip in the middle. I use it with a small gun also. For a heavier gun, 2 clips is the way to go IMHO. HBE has some good looking holsters with 2 clips, but I prefer kydex bodies for ease of reholstering. Crossbreed is still my favorite.

Guest Linoge
:death:

Rub it in, why don't you? ;)

Unfortunately, MTAC does not come in the appropriate flavor for my particular firearm. Crossbreed does, though, and maybe in a year or two (after my wallet has recovered from the whole firearm + holster shock) I will venture down that path.

Oh well. You live, you learn.

Oh, and pictures will be forthcoming tomorrow :).

Guest Boomhower
Oh well. You live, you learn.

True true.....I've got 6 different brands of holsters now (OWB & IWB), and anything IWB that I buy from now on will be M.T.A.C.

I had forgotten, but as stated above, your gun weight plays a big factor on a single clip holster. But with a little break in time, a single clip can be mastered and masked to suite your carry style.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking.....How much was this H.B.E. holster? I couldn't find a price guide on their website. This is the first I have heard of them.

Guest Linoge

I am carrying a Walther PPS, so the weight is not considerable, and the thickness is even better. I, somewhat naively, thought that a single-clip would probably be sufficient. I guess time will tell. The current irony seems to be that my $25 Fossil belt is holding up surprisingly well... I can live with that.

As for the holster, that particular model (with an added horsehide loop for a little extra rigidity) and an additional IWB magazine holster ran me $175 total, including shipoping. Turnaround was about 2.5 weeks from my first phone call. As for why him, he was one of the few people who does make PPS hosters, and his turnaround time was this side of the Apocalypse.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Linoge

... and, after another purchase, I do believe the cheapo Fossil belt was to blame. $35 later, and a 5.11 gunbelt around my waist, things seem so much better. Figures.