C.B. thread reminded me of a story

rugerla1

About 10 years ago, I'd decided to make a trip up to see my family in Missouri. So I packed everything up, loaded it in my K5 Blazer, and headed up I24. Somewhere around Springfield I struck up a conversation with a truck driver about blah blah blah, since that's how they usually start. Seems he was heading the to a town not far from me. Suited me fine since I didn't have a cell phone then, it would help pass the time. We talked about hunting, old ways of living, and whatever came up. Occasionally we cussed at the same idiot who was driving like Richard Petty on crack. As we headed up 55 North towards St Louis, he split off and headed on his own way. 

Well, now I don't have a conversation going, so I'm just listening. Wasn't long and I hear someone yell "Holy $*#*! Did y'all see that 4 wheeler (for those that don't know, that's any vehicle, car, truck, that's not an 18 wheeler) driving northbound on fire?!" Nobody answered so I chimed in and said "What mile marker!?" I'm thinking, "I wanna see this dumba$$!" He responded with the mile marker, and someone else repeated it and said they had just passed him too. I hit the gas to get to the next mile marker to see where they were located in relation to me. I yell out "Hey! I must have just missed him! Where is he now???" Another voice comes on and says "I just saw him, he's at mile marker ***" I am getting ticked and really layin down on the gas now! This went on for I guess 5 minutes. I see a Trooper headed South and imagine he's listening and trying to find this freakin idiot and get him off "His Highway" LOL.

Next voice on the air said "Oh hell, that Trooper just did a u-turn behind that idiot and is on his a$$!" I'm thinking that I'm almost to this idiot and want to speed up to see it before the Trooper gets to him, but don't want to get a ticket while attempting to catch him. So I settle at the speed limit. I hear yet another voice say "Oh hell, he's right behind that &^^%#**$ now!"  I look in my side view mirror and he is behind ME! As I'm trying to figure out what he is doing behind me when he is supposed to be behind this dumba$$, I see sparks pouring out from under my K5!!!! I was like "HOLY HELL! I'm the DUMBA$$!!!!!" All this time, I was chasing myself, not thinking to check to see if it was me!!

I pull over, jump out to look under my truck and see what was causing it. The Trooper said "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING????"  I really wanted to tell him that it was just as much a guess to me as it was him, but didn't want to make the situation turn a different direction, so I simply said "I don't know, I was listening on the c.b. and looking for an idiot, didn't know I was him". He stood there with that Trooper look, hat tilted forward as I climbed under the Blazer to find that my exhaust pipe had rusted in HALF, tilted on one of the hangers, and was dragging the ground. No fire like the truck drivers were reporting, but I'm sure from the southbound lanes, it looked like it. I felt like such an idiot, causing all this commotion, and not realizing it.

As ticked off as I was, I still think the Trooper was more mad. I asked him if he would hold his flashlight towards me so I could rip the pipe off and he just stared at me. From under there, I couldn't rip it off and hold a flashlight, so I just grabbed it, twisted, turned, and yanked till it came off. When it fell in my face, I slid it out from under the truck and started sliding out only to hear him scream "You ain't leaving that sh#& on MY HIGHWAY!" I never intended to, I was just trying to get OUT! But, I knew better than to say anything on the side of the road to instigate more anger, so I said "Yes sir, I'm putting it in my truck. Thanks for your help." He sat there and watched me as I tried to feed the pipe in the truck, and I left.

To end it all off, after a visit with my cousins and telling them my story, they somehow were able to get a sticker (somewhere) that I found once I was back in TN on my bumper. It said "HONK if parts fall off!" 

Yep, I'll never live this one down and always know to look at myself first before calling someone else dumba$$! 

:rock:

Hope y'all enjoy!

• Like 1