.17 WSM - Split Case

I managed to pick up a Savage B-Mag about a month ago and had dad throw a scope on it.  He took it to the range and the first 10 rounds at the range produced three split cases and the groups were not as tight as expected.   We called Winchester and the rep said the casings should not be splitting and he asked us to send the remainder of the box in exchange for a new box.  A few days later a box showed up at the house and Winchester sent two boxes to replace the one, even before we had a chance to put the bad box in the mail.  I guess we'll see how the new lot does.  If they are good to go, I'll have to see if they will swap the other 200 rounds I have from the same lot.

2013-09-17.jpg

Edited by itchytriggerfinger

When was the alst time you cleaned the barrel? I have read that the 17 HMR copper fouls heavily at the throat. And this copper fouling can increase pressures. I have seen this happen on several guns but those that owned them sold them without trying to clean them first. Some brands, can't remember which, were having these issues.

I remember reading about the hmr having that issue, but I haven't found that for the 17wsm. As for cleaning, this was the maiden voyage for a new rifle. But I'm pretty religious about cleaning after every outing.

ummm...  you cleaned before first use to ensure machining oil is removed, right ?

Yes, cleaned it, and also pushed a patch through after every three rounds at the range, I always have a range rod with me. I've played with these small bore wonder toys for years, so I was suspect to this newest arrival to have some fouling issues. They seemed like some hot rounds, but since it was my first WSM17, I really didn't have anything to compare it too. I've never split a case on a 17HMR.

The Winchester rep seemed concerned enough to have me send that lot number of rounds back. Great customer service as UPS not only picked up the ammo at my door step, but handed me two more boxes in its place. I'm going back to the range next week with my chrono, the new lot and the old lot and see what's up.

Yes, cleaned it, and also pushed a patch through after every three rounds at the range, I always have a range rod with me. I've played with these small bore wonder toys for years, so I was suspect to this newest arrival to have some fouling issues. They seemed like some hot rounds, but since it was my first WSM17, I really didn't have anything to compare it too. I've never split a case on a 17HMR.

The Winchester rep seemed concerned enough to have me send that lot number of rounds back. Great customer service as UPS not only picked up the ammo at my door step, but handed me two more boxes in its place. I'm going back to the range next week with my chrono, the new lot and the old lot and see what's up.

Post your chrono data. That will be real informative. I hope you get it figured out. That round sounds like it would be a good choice to help counter the asinine TWRA rimfire-only regs for WMA coyote hunting during small game season.
  • Like 1

I hear you on that. I'm hoping for good results, but I hope we don't find that the 17WSM is a chronic fouler. My son's intention was that he could use it for a prairie dog hunt and not have to reload a bunch a rounds for the trip. It wouldn't be worth a flip if you had to swab out every 10-12 rounds. I've been prairie dog'n before with my .221 Fireball and you shoot A LOT of rounds in a couple hours...and its a blast.

• 6 months later...
Guest bigrobbie

i just fireda few rnds from my b-mag and had the split case then i pick up a few more live rnds and they already have the split in them strait from the win they are already messed up so i called them and left a message with them and now im waitin to see wut they have to say cuz i have about 800rnds for my 17wsm