Space Station

Guest Lester Weevils

Nope, but the chatt sky has been remarkably clear for suburban skies, the last two nights. Both nights, taking the dawgs out the back yard for the last call potty break before 2am bedtime, the Pleiades cluster was high in the sky and easy visible to old eyes without even having to look for it. It is the easiest to see with naked eye "little smudge" in relatively light-polluted skies. Milky way or andromeda galaxy, no freaking way except way out in the sticks away from city lights.

Last night actually broke out my smallest scope for a few minits to look at the Pleiades. Little 50mm, 200mm focal length jobbie. With a Meade 18mm UWA eyepiece, about 11X magnification. Good wide angle bright view of the cluster, low enough power for hand-held aiming.

I have an app that tells me when it's supposed to come over but I think I have to start it manually. I was going to try and take a long-exposure picture of it a while back but we had a bunch of cloudy skies for a while and then it fell off the back burner.
My mom said it was good night before last. I'll try to catch it tonight.

Got a friend going on a 6 month vacation to the ISS next year. It's always cool to me to look i'm always amazed to think I know someone who's been there.

Not sure how the national park and monument shutdown really affects astronauts. Their T-38's have been grounded for a while. But i asked my sister the other day how it affects them and he's still training... and still practicing Russian too I guess.