Dont want to sound too stupid :(

Guest jps37033

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

It has to do with SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute) specifications. +p means the round will fire with extra pressure causing higher velocities (I'm pretty sure). These should only be fired in guns rated for +p (most modern firearms are). +p+ isn't an official SAAMI spec and I think should be avoided for the most part due to potential damage to the firearm caused by the higher pressure.

+p is a hotter load than regular pressured ammo. +p+ is a higher pressure (hotter) than +p. It will give you more velocity than the normal load. There are benefits and negatives as to these loads.

I'm sure there are other who can give you more detailed scientific data on the differences.

Guest bkelm18

Eh, it's really up to you. I carry 9mm +p in my carry gun. My line of thinking is the higher velocity causes more momentum which likely equates to more damage when it hits the target.

Thanks ya'll. So, for just shooting around the house, and home defense, I don't need these? Just some good 'ole hollowpoints and ball rounds. Thanks

Pretty much. If your just plinkin than higher pressure rounds arent what your lookin for. They accelerate the wear on the gun. I typically avoid them any way.

Guest sermon8r
Eh, it's really up to you. I carry 9mm +p in my carry gun. My line of thinking is the higher velocity causes more momentum which likely equates to more damage when it hits the target.

+P+9mm<45ACP:p

Guest sermon8r
Yes I can tell. You keep on carrying your .45 and I'll keep on carrying my 9mm. Problem solved.

A 9mm is a .45 set on stun, and real men do not believe in stun....Michael Z. Williamson

I might try +p in the 45... just for kicks.... dont be so serious.... I have a 9mm short.... aka .380acp

Guest sermon8r
Lets remember who gets stunned when you run out of rounds in that 45,all the whilst I will still have 10 rounds left!

Besides you said a 9mm+p= 45acp,so with that said why would you still ant to carry fewer,and not more!

Shut your yap!

Originally Posted by sermon8r viewpost.gif

+P+9mm<45ACP:p

that means +p+9mm is LESS THAN 45ACP

read it again........ yap closed..... sorry you are so riled up......:up:

Guest jps37033

Ya'll don't get in a fuss now. Didnt mean to start a war about asking +p questions. Help me in my thinking here tho...

In a self defense situation (well, most of them) unless 28 guys charge into your house, or attack you on the street, no more than 2-4 shots will be fired right? So, in my thinking, I would rather have a 7+1 .45 than a 99+2 9mm. Thats just my thinking. But, If we could know ahead of time what the situation was gonna be, we would carry an AK, Police 12 gauge, glock 99 (thats my dream model that has 2 barrels, and two mags holding 15 .45's and 20 9mm's), and a 223 sniper rifle :up:

Just fun and games. Please dont get offended.