Custom Kydex IWB (Ruger LCP)

mhm2a

I decided over the weekend to make an IWB holster for my LCP. I had seen a similar holster made by FIST and thought that it would be perfect for this gun.

It is a velcro clip on. This leaves you with infinite possibilities as to cant and ride height. I used an uncle mikes clip harvested off an old worn out holster and attached it to another piece of kydex, which is cut to the same shape as the clip. I then formed the kydex holster body and attached industrial strength velcro to it as well as the clip. Here are the results;

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can buy kydex forming kits, but be prepared to spend some $$$. I use a $15.00 heat gun and homemade plywood/camping pad press to mold the kydex. The only thing I buy is the kydex and the rest of my stuff is either homemade or local.

Tips:

1. Heat the kydex to the consistency of wet leather or it starts to curl. You can use a toaster oven if you do not have a heat gun.

2. There are different thicknesses of kydex so choose the right one for your application. The thicker kydex is best for molded belt clips. The thin stuff is plyable even when cool and easy to cut/score with a razor knife.

3. Sanding or finishing rough edges use a step down in grit and be patient. I have been using what I had available, which is 80 grit, 120 grit, 400 grit.

Guest Brian@GunDepot
Nice holster!

You could sell a wheel barrow full of those!

I agree... I've had several customers want an IWB for the LCP/P3AT readily available. Great job on the holster!

Kydex is cheap and easy to use. That's why its perfect. You can heat the stuff in a toaster over and use a heat gun for smaller parts. I used a stack of thick towels and a flat weight (stack of books) to press mine when I made it. The only thing I bought was Kydex and Chicago screws. I use a RotoZip with an abrasive pad to sand the edges. For straight lines I score with a utility knife and break. For other cuts, I haven't perfected a method (cutoff wheel, saw, etc.).

Looks good, mhm2a. Keep it up. Post more info as you make more. I can use the ideas. I'll share mine as well, if I make any more.

There are many methods to get the results you want. There is no right way or wrong way as long as the desired results are achieved.

Here is one for a Bersa Thunder .380 I made a while back:

IMG_0265.jpg

Here is one I made for S&W 637 J-frame as well:

100_1423.jpg

100_1424.jpg