Problems with my LCP

Ricochet

I have been very slow to get out to shoot my LCP, life has been hectic but I finally did shoot it two days ago. I haven't had time to get back out with it anymore but I bought a box of JHP's and to be honest, I had a few FTF's and a couple of jams. I ended up shooting 45 of the 50. In the beginning it was going pretty good until I shot about 30 and then it started acting up. Not sure if it is because it doesn't like JHP's or if the ammo was considered cheap. So if anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it. I used Fiocchi 90 GRS. JHP

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

I have run winchester & remington JHP in my LCP with no issues. I would run a box of fmj through it then give the jhp,s another try. You may want to try a diff brand of Jhp,s though. Ive read the lcp can be a little fussy with some jhp but I havent had any issues with mine.

Other than the ftf how did you like it? Its a nice little shooter isnt it.

Thanks eyebedarn :tough: and I LOVED it, it actually surprised me a lot on how good it feels when it goes bang. I expected a lot more recoil than I got.

I will definitely try the FMJ's then go back and try the JHP's. I was gonna get the FMJ's first and my husband told me I needed to get the JHP's cause that is what I would be using in it for self defense so I got a box of the Fiocchi. I had never tried them before. I hope it is the ammo and not the gun, I really like it.

Edited by Guns&Dobes
...I will definitely try the FMJ's then go back and try the JHP's.

All ballistics tests I've seen indicate you need FMJ in any .380 period.

You need ALL the penetration you can get in that caliber, and it ain't gonna go through a human body.

Forget the hollowpoints.

- OS

All ballistics tests I've seen indicate you need FMJ in any .380 period.

You need ALL the penetration you can get in that caliber, and it ain't gonna go through a human body.

Forget the hollowpoints.

- OS

Well I figured the FMJ would do better all around as far as target practise so I am gonna try them and it makes sense about the penetration but I just thought the hollowpoints were better for defense. Is that only for a bigger caliber? I guess everyone is gonna have a difference of opinion on that right? I just want my cute little LCP to work right LOL, I am gonna feed it some FMJ and see if it likes me better!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input!

Well I figured the FMJ would do better all around as far as target practise so I am gonna try them and it makes sense about the penetration but I just thought the hollowpoints were better for defense. Is that only for a bigger caliber? I guess everyone is gonna have a difference of opinion on that right? I just want my cute little LCP to work right LOL, I am gonna feed it some FMJ and see if it likes me better!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input!

Guns,

Hon it's not about a difference in opinion. it's about muzzle velocities.

the .380 type pistol doesn't have a locking bolt. It's blowback operated..that means that when the round goes off, the backblast is what fuels the cycling of the round.

because the bolt doesn't lock, the muzzle velocity is a lot lower than other types. It just doesn't have enough power to penetrate into vital organs (unless you shoot them in the stomach or lower guts.)

the one .380 pistol that I know of that has a locking bolt system (well 2 actually..my wife bought an iver johnson pony..exact replica) is the Colt Mustang. it has higher muzzle velocities because it's recoil operated, not blowback operated. the bolt is locked when the round goes off.

Use the FMJ rounds. I do the same with my wife.

Guest Rugerman

Guns, take some time to visit www.rugerforum.com and click on the semi-auto forum. There are some guys there that did some serious ammo tests in that gun. They may be able to help you. If you get lost over there, my username there is RugerMarkIII. Feel free to PM me.