Finally! PSL/FPK Dragunov!

Smith

My PSL was one of the scope-less ones that Centerfire Sysytems was selling.

I mounted a 8x42 POSP with independent focus like this one from Kalinka Optics.

https://kalinkaoptics.com/

25g5cgx.jpg

Excellent glass edge to edge, the illuminated reticle is nice in twilight conditions and with the focus wheel I can adjust it to suit my eyesight.

But if anybody else goes this route be ready to learn and understand the need to shim the mount in order to bring the reticle to center. 

Well, got her out today and got the scope dialed in after a small learning curve. Took a bit since these scopes are different in how they set up, but once it was on ... it was ON! This thing is a blast to shoot! The factory mag and the two additional mags I got functioned flawlessly with 147g LB and and a few HB 180g I got just to try out. I was impressed with the accuracy and the glass is very nice. It definitely has some jump to it, but nothing I would say is hard to handle. It was also nice to find that the trigger is a factory two stage trigger. Not the best and it is gritty but I believe it can be smoothed out with some polish and lightened with a JTE reduced power trigger spring. 

I've had a lot of guns in my short time and there have been a few that surprised me and my expectations, this PSL  is definitely more fun than I thought it was going to be.

I have wanted one of these since I read a writeup done by a friend from another forum. he was talking about a trigger upgrade from red star arms and uses a 3-9x posp type scope that you sight in at 300 yards on 3x and it adjusts point of impact based on distance as you increase magnification, 400 on 4x, 500 on 5x etc... it ranges by placing the target in a box and when it fits the box, its basically on the magnification range for that distance and such...

will see if I can find that writeup. its older but great info.