Coyote Hunting - East TN

So I'm looking to get into some coyote hunting this late winter/early spring. Does anyone have any information on some public land in east TN that you've had some success? Maybe some deer leases that someone doesn't have time to eradicate them from? I'm certainly not trying to pry any spots from anyones hands, just looking to get out and cut my teeth a little bit. Anyone have any advice on finding some huntable land? Interested really in any type of varmint hunting, but mainly Coyote.

Thanks!

Welcome to TGO and our hunting forum. I don't know what WMA's you have out that way, but for private land your local coop (farmers cooperative) is a good place to start. Talk to the employees at the coop and see who they can lead you to. These employees know most of the area farmers by name and can probably tell you which ones are having yote problems and would let you hunt.

Then on the other hand, a lot of land owners and farmers don't consider coyotes enough of a problem to allow hunting on their property.

Good luck with your search. Get to know some of our members here and see what comes up.

Dave

Welcome to TGO and our hunting forum. I don't know what WMA's you have out that way, but for private land your local coop (farmers cooperative) is a good place to start. Talk to the employees at the coop and see who they can lead you to. These employees know most of the area farmers by name and can probably tell you which ones are having yote problems and would let you hunt.

Then on the other hand, a lot of land owners and farmers don't consider coyotes enough of a problem to allow hunting on their property.

Good luck with your search. Get to know some of our members here and see what comes up.

Dave

Thanks for the great advise, and that definitely sounds like a good place to start.

As for the WMA, the only one that is close is Prentice Cooper.

Edited by TheDude_Abides
Eastern coyotes can be tough. Not eastern tn per se, but coyotes around our parts like the woods. It's all about them feeling comfortable and something about a big open field usually says "something bad might happen to me" to the dogs. I hunt 90% woods. The good news is it's mating time, and like bucks tend to think with the wrong end and can become a little more lax.

Hunted in the woods the other day and got smoked by one at less than 10 yards. In and out quick and you gotta be ready. I've changed my tactics some and either carry an ar pistol or shotgun now. Last 5 have been within 25 yards
  • 1 month later...

I have access to a relatively small strip of woods and open fields on a friend's farm in the Murfreesboro area. All toll, I think there's about 150 to 180 acres involved. I'd be most appreciative of advice from someone that has experience hunting in the "woods" setup. I would like to use my "Spitfire" e-caller, and a mouse squeaker. The trees are mostly tall, mature, hardwoods, with quite a bit of undergrowth...can't see very far on the ground.

How would you setup, what gun would you choose, and how often would you use the same setup?

There's houses just outside one side of the woods strip. I also have a MoJo bunny decoy I can use.

Give me your best hypothetical set up for taking the yotes from this area. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I hear them late at night in my back yard several times a month, taunting the neighbor's dogs.

It used to be exciting, but now it's just annoying.

Need Dolomite to do a NV ambush.

and now...nothing.  Have not heard one in about a year or more. Although I did see more turkey, rabbits, and feral cats.