Blount County Veterans!!! Gathering on 3/5 for American Legion Membership

Those of us who follow BCGO (Blount County Gun Owners) on facebook have seen the event for joining the American Legion in Maryville. (Post 13 on Waters Rd).

There is a big membership push/get together to join on Wednesday, March 5th at 5:30pm. The Legion has a gun range, and you can use it/get your own key for only $35-LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP!

You still have to pay yearly dues at the Legion to use the range, but you'll never pay range fees again. 

You need to be a veteran, a spouse or child of a veteran, to join. Here is a link to the facebook event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1409399582648096/?ref_notif_type=event_mall_reply&source=1

Here is the event description:

f you served please bring your DD214 to join as a Full Member. If your father or grandfather served and you want to join The Sons Of The Legion please bring proof of their service and as much info as you can such as DD214, SSN, DOB etc. If you didnt serve and dont have family that served you can still be a huge help by joining as a Auxiliary Member. This a great oppurtunity for BCGO members to have access to a shooting range, The Legion Riders and the Clubhouse, Carry Classes etc. Membership prices will depend on what your looking for. If I recall its 25.00 to join and a 35.00 one time fee for the range for life as long as you pay you yearly dues and are a member in good standing and 5.00 key fee( I will edit this if this incorrect). Here is some more information on what the American Legion is about and different memberships. http://www.legion.org/http://www.legion.org/auxiliaryhttp://www.legion.org/sons

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes more than a DD214 to join the Legion - you also need to have served on active duty other than for training.  That leaves out some Reservists and Guardsmen (the lucky ones).

Folks Enfield is correct on this. You have to have served atleast one day of active duty in order to qualify, and on a side note.. oh never mind. The Legion riders could use some fresh blood as well. I think the wife and I are stepping back in.

Must have served during one of the following war eras to meet the eligibility requirements.

• Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)
  • Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
  • Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
  • Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
  • June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
  • Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)
  • April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)

"My friend Google" tells me:             

Q – Who sets American Legion eligibility dates?

A- The American Legion was granted a Congressional
Charter in 1919 as a wartime veterans
organization. Membership eligibility is based on
any honorable federal active military duty having
been served during one or more periods of hostilities
 as designated by the Department of Defense.

:surrender:

Edited by hughd

If you are unsure, come by tomorrow night. There is also the Legion Auxiliary and Sons of the American Legion. This is an opportunity to sign up, make friends, and get to use a range in Blount County for $35 LIFETIME dues! (bye bye to $18-20 per day range fees)

If your father or grandfather served, bring any paperwork that you may have, or at least be aware of when they served and what branch, and the Legion will be able to find out for you.