620# .45 brass auction

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will mention that most of the time they are going to run up close to current brass scrap value which might seem high depending on how you normally acquire your brass. Also just in case someone missed it, the brass auctions almost always include the pallet and box/crate/containment device in the total listed weight.

I will mention that most of the time they are going to run up close to current brass scrap value which might seem high depending on how you normally acquire your brass. Also just in case someone missed it, the brass auctions almost always include the pallet and box/crate/containment device in the total listed weight.

I saw that. A pallet is what, maybe 40# or so? And a plywood box, so figure subtract 100 pound and rest is brass?

I saw that. A pallet is what, maybe 40# or so? And a plywood box, so figure subtract 100 pound and rest is brass?

Depending on what type of wood and how thick it is a pallet can weigh as little as 20# up to 60# with most average pallets landing between the 20-45#. I'm not sure about the crate they have pictured but I would say that your guess is pretty reasonable. 

Another thing is, If the brass auctions have the same requirements as buying the deuce and a halfs, an EUC (end user certificate) will be needed in order to place a winning bid. We bought about 25 of the 2 1/2 and 5 ton 6x6 mil-surp trucks and a semi trailer worth of the diesel generators about 5-6yrs ago so our buisiness may still have a valid cert. but I would have to check. I don't remember it being a big deal to get so you could check into it yourself if you'd like.

I've registered with Gov liquidators and think I still have a valid EUC. I bid on some 5.56 cases last year but the prices got too high to make it worth while for me. I'll check and see if my certificate is still good.

That's what seems to always happen towards the end of the auction.

I figured it is worth watching, never know when an auction will get very few bids and be a steal.
I don't exactly need the brass but if the auction stays reasonable I would be interested in trying to win one. Figure about 7400 5.56 brass per 100 pounds, could split up a single lot and sell extras but would all depend on how bidding went.

I figured it is worth watching, never know when an auction will get very few bids and be a steal.
I don't exactly need the brass but if the auction stays reasonable I would be interested in trying to win one. Figure about 7400 5.56 brass per 100 pounds, could split up a single lot and sell extras but would all depend on how bidding went.

They are always worth watching because like you said, every now and again there will be a lot that slips through the cracks. Like I said, if it looks like it might go cheap enough I will gladly go in for 1-200 pounds so you can count on that much being taken care of.

I did some further reading on the site, and the EUC is required once a winning bid has been submitted. And a new EUC is required for each sale event, not per lot. 

So it sounds like anyone with a prior EUC would still have to submit a new one, but the processing time is a lot quicker.

I am going to watch a few of these auctions and see what happens with bid activity.

And from a couple of websites, scrap yellow brass is about $1.65 per pound. That is a lot less than what reloaders pay for brass (9mm=3cents, 5.56=6-10cents, etc.).

If it gets that high I personally would pass. Now if stays sub $1.50 I'm in. Not that $1.65 is a bad deal but I can buy as I need for around $1.70 so a nickel per pound isn't worth the extra effort. On a positive side, no scrapper is going to pay $1.65 per pound just to go sell it for $1.65 per pound so maybe it will stay lower.

How many brass to a pound of 45's/9mm?

My experience is about 105-110 9mm per pound, and 75-80 .45

Guide from another website -

Cartridge Weights per 1000 
380 Auto- 8.5 lbs
9mm-9 lbs 
357 Sig-10 lbs
38 SPL-10 lbs
357 Mag-12 lbs.
10mm-11 lbs.
40 S&W-10 lbs. 
45 ACP-12.5 lbs 
223 13.25lbs

I did some further reading on the site, and the EUC is required once a winning bid has been submitted. And a new EUC is required for each sale event, not per lot. 

So it sounds like anyone with a prior EUC would still have to submit a new one, but the processing time is a lot quicker.

I am going to watch a few of these auctions and see what happens with bid activity.

Just realized this.  I never won any of the auctions so I guess I never submitted a EUC.  

I went back and looked the the pictures again. Looks like the 45 has crimped primer pockets. Not a big deal but will require a little more work.

Just realized this.  I never won any of the auctions so I guess I never submitted a EUC.  

I went back and looked the the pictures again. Looks like the 45 has crimped primer pockets. Not a big deal but will require a little more work.

Dillon has toys for every occasion.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I know that this is [by our standards] an old post but, if someone was to win an auction of this kind could he clean up the brass and sell it at gun shows?

Yes you could sell what you didn't want. I have been watching but haven't found a good deal on any brass yet.