Anybody tried Dura Coat?

I'm looking into painting a rifle flat black, but want to do something a little tougher than spray paint. Just wondering if anybody here has used Dura Coat from Lauer Weaponry. It looks like you can do it yourself with an airbrush gun and it gives a really tough finish. Any opinions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it in gloss black on my 1911, very tough stuff , you can bake or not , very easy to apply th_1911withHolster2.jpg

Did you bake yours?

I was thinking about it, but don't think I want to bake that in the house oven.

That and with my luck it would screw up some how, and trap moisture under the coating. And rust underneath it. I don't have the best luck when it come to trying to make things BETTER.

Seems like all I can do is fix broke thing.

I'm a pretty firm believer in "If it isn't broke, don't fix it"

But I can all ways go for better.

By the way it looks good.....Very good.

How does it hold up to neglect, as in not having to wipe it down every night?

Guest gcrookston

I had two guns done in duracoat, a PT1911 and a Sig220, the latter in flat black. I didn't do it myself and had it done. The prep on the PT1911 was adequate, but the finish is "good". The prep on the 220 was excellent but the finish is poor. As I did not do them myself, I have myself to blame.

My next gun I have done will be Ceracoat. I met the factory rep's a couple weeks ago at a gunshow in Denver. They had surfaces finished with their product and challenged crowd to scratch or damage it... I used my car keys, smacked it with the butt of a multi-tool, I couldn't mar it.

Guest 70below
I wouldn't use that on a gun.

+1 however I have a buddy that applied it in coats to some car parts and its holding up pretty well and feels pretty cool.

Guest Gun Geek

I personally wouldn't use it. Because I have not had much luck with it. It is just paint after all.

But from what I understand prep & curing is very important when applying it. If you don't prep it right it will not hold up and if it it not cured long enough it will just flake off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest VolDaddy

I used Dura Coat from Lauer Weaponry back in Augest on a sporterized 30-06. Sprayed it hanging up outside, then I movet it to the attic for five days. it get over 100 upstairs in Memphis. Better option than the oven. As the better half wouldnt let me eaven if it would of fit. Came out great i would use it again.

Guest gcrookston
Glen, Are you talking about this?

Cerakote Firearm coatings

Did he give you any idea of pricing on a 1911 size handgun?

That's the stuff. I've been looking for his card, but haven't found it yet. He'd told me $150.00 for a handgun, $50.00 for just a slide or $175.00 for an entire rifle.