RIFLE SIGHTS????

Guest REDDOG79

Guest REDDOG79

I bought a Marlin 336 lever action from a friend of mine and had to have the rear sight replaced. I was able to take it to the range today to try out and it seems to me that it is shooting left about 6 inches at 50 yards. I assume that it was boresighted (or however they line it up) when the rear sight was installed. What is the best way to get it to shoot straight? I now I can drift the rear sight in the direction I want the bullet to go, but how difficult will this be at the range where i can then try it again? A hammer and a pin punch would be the tools to use wouldn't they?

Thanks for any and all advice

If all else fails I may scope it but I really wanted to be able to use the iron sights. If I cscope it I wanted see thru mounts to use the iron sights if desirable

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest REDDOG79

I think it may have already been boresighted when the gunsmith installed the rear sight.

It seems to be shooting to the left and I am wondering what the proper or easiest way to finetune the rear sight it???

Can I drift it while at the range easily or do i need some sort of vise to hold the rifle while trying to drift the sight

DRalarms I may take you up on that offer when I get the chance maybe you can show me that gun club if we can get together.

Thanks for the input everyone

Kirby

This is from the manual.

If you don’t have one, you can download it here…

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/CustomerSupport/manuals.asp

Sighting

Your rifle has been sighted-in and testfired at the factory. However, due to individual sighting characteristics, sighting should be range verified.

Rear Sight Adjustment Rule

To make corrections, always remember to move the rear sight in the direction in which you wish to move the center of the group. That is, if you are shooting low, raise the rear sight. If you are shooting to the right, move the rear sight to the left.

For Models Equipped With Elevator Adjustable Open Rear Sights Horizontal Correction (Windage)

Windage adjustments to the rear sight can be made by gently tapping the dovetail portion of the rear sight in the desired direction. To move the point of impact to the left, move the rear sight base to the left. To move the point of impact to the right, move the rear sight base to the right.

Vertical Correction (Elevation)

To raise the point of impact, raise the rear sight. To lower the point of impact, lower the rear sight. The sight can be raised and lowered by moving the stepped elevator forward and back with your thumb.

For Models Equipped With Screw-Adjustable Rear Sights Horizontal Correction (Windage)

To move the point of impact to the left or right, loosen the leaf binding screw until you can move the leaf manually. Move the leaf in the appropriate direction, retighten the screw and fire again. Continue this process until your shots are horizontally zeroed-in.

Vertical Correction (Elevation)

To raise the rear sight (if you are shooting low) turn the elevation adjustment screw clockwise. To lower the rear sight (if you are shooting high) turn the elevation adjustment screw counterclockwise. Continue adjusting and firing until your shots are vertically zeroed-in.

Guest Mugster

I try to use a brass punch and a 1 pound hammer. Lots of little quick taps. You can tape the side of the sight for more protection. No matter what you do it'll probably go back and forth a few times if you have my luck.