10/22 Issue???

I'm going to try not to be very verbose, so here goes.

A customer of mine went to Wal-Mart to purchase a stainless 10/22 with wood stock. He looked at the display model, and everything was fine. He bought one. He quickly looked it over while at the store, he thought it looked fine.

After getting home, he read on one of these internet forums something about Ruger painting or coating their barrels to look stainless. He took another look and compared his barrel to that of a friends .308. The 10/22 barrel looks like it is in fact coated with something. It doesn't appear to be very smooth.

He went back to Wal-Mart and took a second look at the display model, and the barrel on it looked better. It didn't appear to have been painted/coated. He asked the folks at Wal-Mart about an exchange, and they at first tried to tell him that it was against Federal Law. Knowing that was a lie, he spoke with the manager who told him it was against Wal-Mart policy to refund or exchange on guns and/or ammo.

Question; being that Wal-Mart and Ruger advertise this 10/22 to be "stainless", it should be stainless, and not just a stainless colored coating, correct?

Question; Do they normally put some type of coating over the stainless barrels?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well two points here...

1st: I think all 10/22 barrels are stainless, unless WallyWorld has bought some cheaper version. I'd look at it closer... or have him bring it by our store and I can tell him real quick.

2nd: And Im not trying to be a smartazz, but thats what he gets buying it from WallyWorld... their customer service and customer satisfaction sucks.

I looked at a 10/22 at wally world that was the synthetic stock with SS barrel. I ended up not buying it because it was 'damaged' This damage consisted of a wide scrape down the barrel that appeared to have pulled off paint. It appeared to be SS under the paint. My guess on this is that the new receivers aren't SS they are aluminum or something and are painted a silverish color and the barrel was being painted to match the receiver.

Edited by PirateQui
Guest justgus45

I'm new here, but here goes. All Ruger 10/22 receiver's are aluminum, always have been. they have been anodized in long years past. nicely painted in years past, and now terrible paint. they recently went to plastic trigger guards with terrible paint before they were aluminum.

Barrels are either blued steel in the past, (now painted) or stainless. I guess they could be painting the SS barrels to match the receiver/trigger guard ugly paint scheme.

Options now are to go complte aftermarket including receiver, or buy Ruger and strip the paint off, polish and wax, or powdercoat, or use the new duracoat, or other new systems. Lots of choices out there to build your own to your specs.