Playing golf

Guest Revelator

Guest Revelator

I think I'd like to take golf up again next year. I played a little when I was younger, then moved on. Surely there's a few people here who play, so I was wondering if I could get some information. One of my biggest questions is about clubs--how much should I spend? I imagine golf clubs are kind of like guns in that you can spend as much or as little as you want depending on what you're looking for. Let's say I was looking to get a Glock or XD of clubs--well built, workman-like, not too fancy, not too expensive and not cheap either. How much do you think these would cost, and what are some good brands? Thanks all.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton

I got a matched set of Taylor Made irons and had the shop fit them for me (for free). I'm no Tiger, but I carry a 6 handicap. They work great for me. I think I've gut just over $500 in them. I picked up a matching driver used in trade for some computer work.

I did buy a cheap ass set of clubs from WalMart for about $150 to learn on about 7 years ago and traded up to the TaylorMades once I got better. To be honest, I don't think they improved my game any more than just good ole practice, practice, practice...

Good luck on another potentially addictive hobby!

You can get good deals on used and close out model clubs.If you live near a Nevada Bobs or Edwin Watts that would be a good place to look.Also Dicks carries models that are 2 or 3 years old at about half what they cost new.Personally I like a combo of old (Tommy Armour 845s) irons,old Taylor made metal 3 wood and a late model (for me) driver a Taylor Made 580XD.

Callaway, Ping, TaylorMade, Cobra, Titleist, and Wilson are all pretty good choice of irons. I would recommend the cavity-back ones rather than the blades until you get a whole lot better. I've been playing with the Callaway x-14's for about 6 years and they are sweet clubs. Mine have the graphite shafts and are 2 degrees upright. (You probably need to be fitted so that your swing and the club match.) I'm presently using a Callaway FT-5 driver which I like. You will need a good sand wedge like a Cleveland or Titleist Vokey. I have a couple of Cobra hybrids. The hybrid clubs have replaced a lot of the long irons(2,3,4 etc.) , so check them out. Try out different putters to see which one feels good to you. The main point in purchasing a set of clubs is that they don't all have to be the same brand. You can often find good used sets at Golfsmiths on Winchester in Memphis. Hope this helps some.

Guest GLOCK2340

I usually find a set that I like and go here to buy them:

www.golfclubexchange.com

You really can find good deals!! I would say $200 to $300 would get you a good solid set of irons and $200 for a driver.

One thing that I must stress is that you get a newer model modern driver. They have changed so much over the years that it is worth the money to get one. They are easier to hit farther and straighter.

Just my opinion.:P

Edited by GLOCK2340