Another, different paracord wrap style

Two or three years ago, I bought a couple of knife 'kits' on clearance at the Woodcraft store.  They came with just a blade and some hex key head, Chicago screw type attachment hardware.   I bought them more because they were on sale and I wanted to try my hand at putting scales on than because the knives, themselves, really overwhelmed me and that is especially true of the one in this post.

One of them was a large, modern take on a 'tanto-ish' blade.  When I got it home and started looking more closely at it, I began thinking that it looked a little outlandish.  I had a hard time envisioning what kind of scales would look 'right' with its sort of odd design.  When I did a couple of paracord wraps this past weekend, I decided to see what such a wrap would look like on this knife.  I tried a Stryder (Strider?) style wrap but really wasn't satisfied with my results.  I did everything 'right', I thought, but it just didn't come out looking very smooth.  An underwrap might have helped but I still don't think it would have looked right.  It looked like this:

IMG_20141001_114711.jpg

IMG_20141001_114653.jpg

Well, while looking up different wrap styles, etc. I came across a video on youtube showing how to do a Solomon Sword style wrap.  The guy in the video did the wrap on the handle of a wooden sword.  He used red and yellow cord and I thought it looked good.  I then decided that such a wrap - complete with the bright colors - might not look bad on the above pictured knife  Now, I wouldn't necessarily choose these colors for most knives but my idea was - as the blade, itself, isn't entirely practical - to give it a look that would be at home in a Japanese Manga-inspired video game.  Regardless of the colors, I like my results with this style a lot better than with the Stryder style.  I also like how one color is more 'dominant' on one side and the other color is more 'dominant' on the other side:

IMG_20141001_114621.jpg

IMG_20141001_114605.jpg

IMG_20141001_114510.jpg

IMG_20141001_114525.jpg

I now have some semi-formed plans to come up with some kind of slightly over-the-top sheath to go along with the somewhat over-the-top style of the knife.  I'm not going to get in any hurry about it, though.  I doubt I'll ever really carry the thing so the project will mostly be a way to practice some new leather techniques and just for my own amusement.  I hope to have an interesting wall-hanger type knife/sheath when I am done.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys.

I think it looks awesome!! Tell us more about the knife itself!

Not much to tell, really.  It is a kit knife blade I bought at Woodcraft a couple of years ago because it was on sale and I wanted to try my hand at putting scales on knives.  It has an edge that would probably cut you if you weren't careful but is not what I would call sharp.  I think it would probably take a better edge and I may try to sharpen it more at some point - or if I decide to use it mostly as a wall hanger, etc. I might not.

The reason I say the design is 'weird' is because it has a handle shape like a slightly 'fancy' hunting knife (or maybe even a kitchen knife), it has a finger choil groove and jimping like a bushcraft or general use type knife (and the way the jimping is cut looks kind of strange, to me) but then it has a fairly thick/heavy blade that is sort of a 'tanto' style - which doesn't really go with the hunting knife handle or the bushcraft/general use features.  Finally, it has a false edge on the forward, upper portion of the blade which doesn't really go with a tanto design, in my mind.  All in all, the design is kind of schizophrenic and looks like someone tried to genetically splice a tactical knife, a hunting knife and a bushcraft knife and this is what they got.. 

Edited by JAB