Question About Coast Guard Boarding Vessels

Guest C4Dave

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep they can do what they want at will. I severely pissed off a Baltimore City cop one year. The USCG has ultimate rule on any US navigable waterway and the cop didn't expect me to know the law. My wife and I were anchored more than 50yds off of the pier 6 pavilion listening to a concert. The BCPD marine unit tries to run people out of there because the pier 6 gripes about us not buying tickets. So the BCPD comes aboard and says you "know you cant anchor here and procedes to do a "safety inspection." While he was below here is what the officer heard from me:

"This is the power vessel Obssesion power vessel Obssesion hailing the United States Coast Guard Baltimore Group"

"This is the United States Coast Guard Baltimore Group go ahead captain"

a little more VHF lingo to go to a working channel:

"Yes sir I have a question regarding maritime law."

Explianed my situation. :

"Sir you are correct if you are outside of the Craighill channel but more than 50 yds from shore, you are in legal anchorage, would you like a nearby Patrol craft to assist?"

Cop storms off the boat without even a thank you captn, and proceeds to fly out of the area in violation of the 6kt limit.

My reply:

"No thank you USCG, I think he got the message, however he is speeding out of here at full throttle in a 6kt zone."

"Our patrol craft near by had an eye on the area and has him in sight, we will take care of it capt. Have a pleasant evening USCG Baltimore group returning to CH16 out. "

The USCG's ability to take over control (temp change of command) of a US Navy vessel and conduct their mission is pretty interesting too. I never realized that there are USCG members on board Naval ships for that purpose (jurisdiction), but a friend/sailor was telling me about it. Still unsure of the exact details, but maybe one of our resident ex-squids can chime in. Pretty cool deal. :lol:

I don’t think we had any knee deep sailors on the ships I was on. But I guess they could have been undercover. :lol:

Taking Command of a Navy ship would be a pretty big deal. Obviously not something that is going to happen unless it is voluntary.

Guest Verbal Kint
Obviously not something that is going to happen unless it is voluntary.

Yeah, was a totally voluntary thing. Pretty much "lowering one flag and hoisting the other" to accomplish the job. As it's been hit on, I'm pretty sure it was in the lines of drug interdiction.

Yep they can do what they want at will. I severely pissed off a Baltimore City cop one year. The USCG has ultimate rule on any US navigable waterway and the cop didn't expect me to know the law. My wife and I were anchored more than 50yds off of the pier 6 pavilion listening to a concert. The BCPD marine unit tries to run people out of there because the pier 6 gripes about us not buying tickets. So the BCPD comes aboard and says you "know you cant anchor here and procedes to do a "safety inspection." While he was below here is what the officer heard from me:

"This is the power vessel Obssesion power vessel Obssesion hailing the United States Coast Guard Baltimore Group"

"This is the United States Coast Guard Baltimore Group go ahead captain"

a little more VHF lingo to go to a working channel:

"Yes sir I have a question regarding maritime law."

Explianed my situation. :

"Sir you are correct if you are outside of the Craighill channel but more than 50 yds from shore, you are in legal anchorage, would you like a nearby Patrol craft to assist?"

Cop storms off the boat without even a thank you captn, and proceeds to fly out of the area in violation of the 6kt limit.

My reply:

"No thank you USCG, I think he got the message, however he is speeding out of here at full throttle in a 6kt zone."

"Our patrol craft near by had an eye on the area and has him in sight, we will take care of it capt. Have a pleasant evening USCG Baltimore group returning to CH16 out. "

wow, I can't wait until the day I get to be a smartass like that on Old Hickory :lol::popcorn:

• 9 months later...
Guest H0TSH0T

I used to be in the US Coast Guard, it is legal to board , arrest, search, ect under 14usc89, as far as the request to know if a weapon on the vessel is for safety concerns, they don't want to be surprised when you open ships safe or glove box to get vessles documents and see a gun, you have the right as captian of a vessel to have a firearm, as well as to regulate who else onboard has access, as long as it is with in federal law,and state law, this may be covered by the newer castle law in TN, but for the most part the inspection is for safty reasons, life jackets, fire ex, enviromentle reasons, oil discharge, lights, nave equipment, warning devices, eeperb? strobes, sound signals. then things like BUI same as dui or dwi, ect.

they will most likely secure the weapon till the boarding is over, and you will know you will have some paperwork. as far as being on the high seas, (international waters that is 12knotical miles of the coast of any US land mass including islands) if your vessle is flaged in the USA they still don't need a warrent, however if you were flaged and regestered in a different country, they can board with permission of the captian, or have permission from the goverment of flagged country. more than likely they will get the permission to board, i have never been denied or seen it happen first hand, i have had to wait for permission but got the go ahead within 15min to 4hours. this normally will make a boarding be more thoural and picky. not to mention take longer.