The Sig I almost bought.

Grayfox54

I was at the Germantown gun show today. I had with me a couple of revolvers that I was willing to sell or trade.One fo which is a Smith & Wesson 3" Model 624 Lou Horton Special. Been totin' these guns around to various gun shows for a while now and although I get lots of lookers, so far no buyers. Same thing with trying to trade for something I liked. I know that dealers have to make money on a trade, but most of the offers I got were downright insulting. Frankly, I'm gettin' tired of carrying these guns around.

My younger son has a Sig P220 Compact. Nice gun, but I don't care for the short grip frame. I've shot it many times and and while I'm not realy a DA Auto kind of guy, I've often thought it might be nice to have a full sized one of my own. 

So there I am at the gun show. Once again, many want to look at what I have, but nothing but bad low ball offers. 

Anyway, I'm making my way down through the show and a voice from behind one of the tables asks about my 624. Its a pretty good sized dealer with lots of tables and the inquiry came from one of the salesmen. I show him and the guy is about to pee himself. He's been looking for one of these for his personal collection for quite some time. He looks it over and agrees that my asking price is fair, but sadly, he can't spend the money right now what with Christmas coming, small kids and of course the wife to deal with. We all know the story.  :rolleyes:

They have lots of guns there, so I ask if maybe we can work out a trade? 

I look around and find a brand new Sig P220 Carry. That's the full size frame with the slightly shorter barrel and slide. I like it. It feels good in my hand. So the salesman goes and gets the owner, who is the only person allowed to make trade deals. So we commence to haggling. At first it was no go. But over the next couple of hours I drop by occasionally, make and offer and he counters. After about the 4th time, we reach a deal we can both live with. I figure I'm loosing about $50, but that's to be expected when trading with a dealer. So I'm ok with it.

I sit down at the table and start the paperwork. The dealer tells some other saleman that I hadn't spoken to pack everything up and bring it down for processing. Then right in front of me, this (insert appropriate term) DROPS THE NEW SIG ON THE CONCRETE FLOOR! :eek: . :censored:  :wall: 

He  picked it up, gave it a quick look see and announced "its ok, it doesn't look hurt."  But its already too late for me. I was so mad that there was no way I was going to take this gun now. I demand my gun back and say "The Deal's Off!"  :mad:

Needless to say I was not in a good mood when I left the show. 

But now that a few hours have passed and I've calmed down, I think maybe that God, fate, nature or whatever forces may control our lives was just telling me that for semi-autos, I should just stick with my 1911s.  ;)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Patton, I understand your  concern about me trying to trade off the 624. Let me clear that up so I don't appear as much the idiot y'all think I am. ;)  
I stumbled across it locally from a private seller at a very good price. It doesn't have the original grips. It wears goodyears. I also don't have the box. While the gun is in very good shape, it does show a few minor handling marks. And its been shot quite a bit. Mostly by me.   :D  So its not like I'm trying to sell a mint collectable. I figure this one to be about an $850 gun. 
I might also mention that I have several other .44 Specials including a 3" 24-3. I just like blue better than stainless. 
Also, in the OP I said it was a gun I was "willing to sell or trade". I never said I needed or even wanted to sell. 
This gun was actually an impluse buy.  I actually bought it with the intent of reselling it.   So this 624 is more or less an extra in my collection. I like it, but don't necessarily need it.
If I can sell it for what I consider a fair price or trade for something of similar value that I want, I am "willing" to do so.
Otherwise, I'll keep it, enjoy it and continue to shoot it.  :up: