Long Gun Sales?

golfnfish

I recently was considering the sale of a shotgun to another private party in Georgia.  I am a Tn resident.  The sale never took place as the buyer backed out but an issue arose as to whether he could travel to Tn to purchase the shotgun face to face from me without going through an FFL.

I called two FFLs in Tennessee and one in Georgia and each said it wasn't legally necessary to involve an FFL in the sale or purchase of a long gun between residents of different states, only handguns. 

Everything I have read on forums seem to indicate that private parties can not legally sell a long gun face to face to a resident of another state without the involvement of a FFL.  Since I live relatively close to AL, Ga and NC, it might come up in the future.

I have no reason to doubt the FFLs as they would have earned a fee for processing the transfer.  Did I simply misread or misunderstand when an FFL must be involved in a sale/purchase?

My thanks to anyone that can clarify this for me.  Mods please move if this question is more appropriate in another forum.

Edited by golfnfish
My understanding is you cannot sale or buy across state lines without an ffl being involved. Unless you are an ffl of course.

I'm sure someone will chime in with a link from the atf website stating the proper procedure. Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.  That is my understanding as well.  It is hard to believe that three different brick and mortar gun stores/ffls in two states could be so wrong.  Although I haven't bought/sold out of state to date,  I'll definitely insist any sale/purchase gets handled through a FFL if the situation should ever arise in the future.

Thanks for confirming my understanding.

Without FFL interaction, it's more specifically:

- Illegal for a seller to transfer any firearm to resident of another state regardless of where the transaction happens.

- Not illegal for a person to receive firearm in another state, but Illegal to bring it back into his home state.

- Oddly, there is no specific restriction on receiving a firearm in one's home state from a resident of another state, unless he has reason to believe the firearm is stolen. Always wondered if one couldn't be charged with abetting a felony or some such for knowingly doing it though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot