Your sentimental gun story?

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Seems to be a few "my first gun" or "this gun means the most to me" threads so I thought I'd start a place for the stories, and lead with my own.

My first gun was a Remington Model 33 .22 single shot bolt (made in early to mid 30's) that my grandfather (mom's dad) gave me that he was given new as his first gun. Shot plenty of squirrels, cans, and a few terrorizing turtles in our catfish pond. In the past years it has just sat and I never really paid it too much attention, it was always just there.

Fast forward to two years ago, and my dad passes away. I was his only child and he wasn't re-married, so I had to go down to Texas to take care of his things and tie up loose ends. While going through his house I end up with a Bushmaster XM-15, a wyoming arms 1911 clone, and a Remington Model 33. I asked around and he had gottent his from his dad, which he had also gotten as a kid.

I now have 2 of these rifles (one in much better shape), one from each grandfather. They both live next to each other, and the good one makes it to the range every now and then.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Well, I don't have much of one, but my Dad (a staunch Obama supporter I might add) did inherit a Remington-Rand 1911 from my Great-Grandfather. It was manufactured in 1944 and probably killed some Kraut SoBs (;)). My Dad let me have it when I first got into guns, but apparently he didn't mean for me to keep it because out of the blue he asks me to help him sell it, he wanted a new TV :D. Well, against my better judgement, I helped him sell it. I at least got him a good price for it. I'm still pissed about it.

I have my Dads 98 Mauser in 8mm. Back in the 60's, we went through the Sears catalog and picked out two of them. Ordered them by mail and a few days later when I got home from school, there they were. Waiting on the front porch where the mailman had left them. Complete with ammo.

A few years later, I traded mine off. Always hated that I did that. I got Dads when he passed away. Of course, this one would never leave the family now.

The first gun my Father ever bought me was a H&R single shot 20 ga. When I was about 10 years old someone broke into our house and stole all our guns, around 15 in all. We had all the serial numbers for all the guns and gave them to the police, the insurance paid off and we got some new guns, but you just can't replace the ones with sentimental value. A few years later we get a call from the Anderson County Sheriffs Dept. turns out they found my 20 ga. in a pawn shop and I got it back. At the time I thought it was cool that I got it back, but now that my Father has passed and I have a son of my own I am very thankful to have that shotgun back.