Info please!

Guest slim

I dont know anything about reloading! But i am thinking about starting mainly .223! What is the cost of a basic set-up and what do i need to get, would like to get something decent and not to costly! I will keep all my brass and go from there. Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a single stage kit and a set of full length dies to start. Will vary in price from about $90 - $400 depending on brand. Thing to remember is that all are milled to SAMMI spec and will produce ammo of EXACTLY the same quality. Some are just easier than others. Buy primers and powder locally and get everything else from Midway, Graf&Sons, or Brownells. Bullets and brass are CHEAP at Brassmanbrass.com (.223 ball $69 per 1000 shipped cheap)

First step is to get a good reloading book and read it front to back then do it again...find someone else locally and have them teach you if at all possible. It is not very difficult to do at all if you have the time and space to do it. Always follow the recipies in the manuals...they are gospel.

If you can't tell I am a huge advocate for reloading...to the point I don't really consider people real "shooters" (sorry guys...no excuse if you have the means and don't) unless they reload.

.223 is some of the most labor intensive round to reload. I reload all mine. Resize and deprime on a single stage or a turrent press. length must be checked and shorted if to long. Dillon make a die/sizer combo that works good, or others make different cutters to do the job, anywhere from $10-$365. You will need a sweager if you have mil-spec rounds with crimped primer pockets to open the primer hole. After I have the brass in spec., I load them on a Lee Loadmaster. 55gr FMJ are the cheapest bullets to buy. With a 16" or shorter barrel, use a fast powder, Ramshot x-teminator, Accurate 1680, Alliant 10x or Hodgen H322. Heaver bullets and longer barrels use slower powders, Ramshot TAC, Alliant 15x, Hodgen H335 or Accurate 2230. 24" barrels and heavy bullets"75grs and up" even slower powders.

Well, i think that reloading as well as Black-powder will and is stating to get popular, the blackpowder stuff already has in my case, today first time in 11 yrs. bought some stuff!

Stopped by Sportsmans warehouse today, they were out of the normal .223 did see some at Wally World, cheapest was $25.97 +.10 ammo tax and then the reg tax, for 1 box of rem. 55gr.- 50 rounds!

Prices on all AKs on web as well as ARs have gone up overnight, 10-15% min. Had a real shock when i saw Centerfire, who has not raised any prices yet, selling 1 box of 20 rounds, ss109 223 for $39.99???? $2.00 a pop!

Glad i have a tons of it, when it was $5.00 a box yrs. ago! I really am scared to see any prices at the show in Knox. sat.

God help us all, this is only the beginning. Did pick up some Black powder supplies, no 11 caps of 100 at $10.95, Small 1.5 lb. jug Pyrodex was $19.99 and the new Triple se7vn powder 1 lb.size $29.99! Is it much better than pyrodex? Must be, since it costs almost 2x the price of pyrodex, claims water only clean-up?:up:

I do have a few thousand ss109 on hand, but at the now price at $2.00 a round, i dont inted to shoot any, unless under a Zombie attack! and i spent almost $58.00 incl. tax today on 100 rounds of .223, i just dont know!

When i go to the range i used to shoot 300 rounds avg. with my AR, but now that will run me at todays price $178.00! And prices will go up and availabilty down. So what can one do but reload! Thank You!