Surveillance cameras capture attempted carjacking in Smyrna

Police said a good Samaritan shot the driver, stopping the theft and saving the woman.

The incident happened Friday afternoon at a car wash on Highland Parkway.

Witnesses told Channel 2’s Ross Cavitt that they couldn’t believe how brazen the carjackers were. They said the car wash was full of customers at the time.

The good Samaritan was identified as a City of Smyrna employee who was getting his car washed. Police said his quick action saved the woman's life.

“Oh, my God, I’ve never seen anything like this. I’m just shaking right now,” witness Tasha Orr said.

Orr said she was at the busy 3-Minute Car Wash when a group of four men hopped into a white Honda and tried to steal it.

The car wash’s surveillance cameras recorded the incident. The video shows the men inside a red minivan scoping out the parking lot and then the woman jumping onto the hood of her car as they tried to drive away with the Honda.

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/raw-surveillance-cameras-capture-attempted/vDNDXZ/

Edited by Ron_TN
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gave me a start. Smyrna GEORGIA.

Coming soon to a town near you.

Yep. When I saw it on the early news last night, I thought pretty much the same thing.

This sort of thing is getting far to common. Wandering bands of no-goods just searching for some easy target. And so secure in the thought there's no downside to theft and worse that it's beginning to not matter if there is a lone person or a field full of witnesses. They are going for it anyplace at all, without fear.

What can we do about it? I wish there was a quick easy answer, but it's so many different things that I doubt there will ever be a resolution and a stoppage to things like this.

My opinion starts here. First, we re-institute true punishment for criminal acts. Easily done? Sure. Except the liberal "can't punish/just re-educate the poor boy" crowd will whine and cry about it. 

True jail time, not resorts for workout sessions. Work gangs, not just trash pick up, but hard labor. show that actions have consequenses. 

Secondly, try, and I say this with little hope, to instill a sense of right and wrong in the children, and society as a whole again. Tough task and probably not going to happen.

Yes, this is a very simplistic view, but I really believe it could be a solution.