Car Rifle, Round allowed in Chamber?

soapy

I went to the mailbox after dark.  I thought this truck coming down the street was a neighbor, but it was going too slow, so I stopped short. He stopped at my drive and said "I'm so N so. I didn't hear him well,  he did look like a former neighbor, so I approached the truck and I said "Chester?" Now I can see inside, I don't know him, and he had a long gun in the passenger seat, barrel in the floor butt up.  I started putting some distance between us and he quickly blurted out he was looking for a truck for sale, which was down the street.  That got me to wondering if the law had changed and you could carry a rifle in the vehicle with a round in the chamber now days.   I've been told no,  and I've been told yes. Could someone please answer that for me?  Thanks in advance.

Anyone not prohibited from gun ownership by federal or state law may have any type loaded firearms in his personal vehicle in TN for over a year now.

The "long gun without one in chamber" (for permit holders only) clause was zapped at same time.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4

Quick reply, I was just sitting here thinking, I bet OS knows.  I thought I read that somewhere.  I asked 3 LEO's.  I got 2 no's and one yes.

Tell the idiot cops to read TCA 39-17-1307, which they are responsible for enforcing, wherein is found:

"(e)  (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) [unlawful possession or carry of a firearm] that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle if the person:

(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and

( B ) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.

(2) As used in this subsection (e):

(A) "Motor vehicle" has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103;

( B ) "Motor vehicle" does not include any motor vehicle that is:

(i) Owned or leased by a governmental or private entity that has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms or ammunition not required for employment within such a motor vehicle; and

(ii) Provided by such entity to an employee for use during the course of employment."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

To be honest OS, I just looked that up, read it three times, and it just confused me.   :stunned:   

I couldn't splain it, if my life depended on it.

Dunno why it's hard.

It's against the law to have a loaded firearm in public in TN. However, one of the exceptions is having it in a private vehicle assuming you are not otherwise prohibited by law to own/possess firearms period.

Note that this does not cover storing gun in vehicle on school property or posted lots though -- that still requires having a permit.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

So, I wouldn't be covered (sans permit) in a company-provided vehicle if I read that correctly? I have a HCP so this is purely academic.

not if company "has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms or ammunition not required for employment within such a motor vehicle"

- OS