Youth Classes at Range USA

jay1313g

I want to take my 10 year old son through the youth firearms class at Range USA in Memphis. They have classes for 6-10 yr olds and another one for 11-16 yr olds. I think he is mature enough for the 11-16 yr old class but don't want him to be "lost". Has anyone been through this with their kid? Would I need to bring a .22 for him?

I have a 50 yr old Winchester, bolt action, single shot, youth model, .22 that I learned to shoot with that will be great for him. I don't know if he could properly handle my Ruger 22-45 yet though.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay,

Contact Kristen at Range USA, she'll be the instructor for the class. The age requirements are generally flexible, so there shouldn't be a problem with him going into the "Level II" class.

You can bring your own weapon, but they are also provided in the class, along with the ammo.

For more info:

http://rangeusa.com/Training/RangeUSAUniversity/EntryLevel/FirearmSafetyMarksmanshipYouth/tabid/213/Default.aspx

My 6yr old son and my 9 yr old daughter both went through the first class. Kristen does an excellent job on keeping the kids attention, keeping it fun, and teaching them stuff! I recommend this class to anyone that has kids and firearms in the house. You go through the class with them too. I say again, a lot of fun and very educational, the kids will listen to kristen! I give it 5 stars! *****

Note: I did have to help my 6yr old with some of the activities that involved reading, his skill level at that time was limited, he just finished Kindergarten. He is halfway through 1st grade and wouldn't have much problems at this point.

Guest jcramin

I had my 7 year old daughter and my 12 year old son take the classes.

The 11-16 class is mostly young kids non older than 12 I think when my son took the class. Your child will not be lost in that class. it is pretty much the same class as the 6-10 except not as much coloring LOL

J