When in doubt sniff WW2 German holsters! : ) : ) : )

I found this authenticity hint funny yet it seems it may "hold water"! (No questions, just passing it on, but comments are very welcome) : )

I have a WW2 era German holster. It is home to a Mauser Model 1934 7.65 (.32 cal). I was rummaging around the web looking to get further hints regarding the holster's authenticity:

The thread characteristics - check.
The AKAH maker markings - check.
D.R.G.M. markings - check.

Everything I ran across suggested I had the real McCoy. Finally one fellow wrote "sniff the holster". He went on to say that many German holsters of that era to this day still reek of powerful stale tobacco smoke with no hint of lingering leather smell. That kind of clicked 'cuz I remembered reading in Audie Murphy's book "To Hell and Back" that he could, at times, smell the Germans' unique and powerful tobacco smoke well before he spotted them.

Well, BINGO! That old hunk of leather still has an overpowering aroma of stale very STRONG very unique tobacco. I was amazed and thought I'd pass this little tidbit on. Obviously, not a lock tight verification but it can be one more clue.

I guess the $64 question for me is tobacco scent can last 70 plus years in a piece of leather? I think it can!

(The thread was found on the "Wehrmact Awards Forum) Edited by Djay3
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.