Converting 5.56 to 300 BLK

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about changing your gun from 5.56 to .300, it's as simple and easy as a barrel swap. I'm sure there's hundreds of places that could do it here in TN, although I'm mobile on my phone right now and can't see your exact location in TN. Once the proper tools and knowledge is acquired, the AR system is one of the easiest to work on.

If you're talking about having brass formed, my reloading knowledge is admittily very little when it comes to forming cases. Once you get past depriming, sizing, trimming to length, charging, and seating a bullet I'm pretty much clueless... Edited by cknight98

there should be a bunch of guys in your neck of the woods that cut the brass, heck you can do it on the cheap if you really want to.  One of the ways to get it done is to go to home depot or lowes and buy a tubing cutter and cut them just below the neck, of course this is the slow method.  If there is a Harbor Freight there get the small chop saw and go that route, you can make a jig out of some wood.

I was referring to converting the brass.  I have 2 guns in 300 BLK, and a ton of 556 brass.  I have a Dillon 550 press to load them up and 300 BLK dies, but no cutter and frankly no more room on the bench to do it. 

If you already have the brass then the getting the equipment is your cheapest route.  They are quite small and take up very little room, these are about $32 plus shipping unless you find one in store. http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-61900.html

Then your choice of jig, I have this one: http://www.zepprecisionmachines.com/store/p2/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig%2C_cosmetically_blemished.html at another $35.  If you are already reloading 300BLK then you should already have the rest.

From Grumpa on castboolits: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?150466-300-AAC-Blackout-Brass-(Price-Change)-6-19-14

"Prices don't include shipping

1K---------$140
500pcs----$75
300pcs----$45

Shipping cost: All packages are sent USPS priority
SFRB....$5.95 (Holds 300pcs)
MFRB...$12.70 (Holds 2K)
LFRB....$17.90 (Holds 3k)"

So you see, it is better to buy the equipment and DIY if even just 1K is involved you are ahead.  Of course that's if time is not a consideration, which I have more of than $$.

My Dremel tool with a cutting disk makes short work of the 5.56 to 300 BLK conversion. 

Yea, there are many ways to cut them, I started that way but ended up getting the HB saw and jig for the speed and accuracy of things.  I had a setup to cut aluminum arrows which would of worked great but I gave it to a friend when I went with carbon, though I still have a left handed PSE Fire Flight that uses aluminum but may get rid of that too.  The HB saw is used for arrows as well so I suppose I can get a jig for that too and do arrows with it, win-win.