Does anyone recognize this sign?

Will Carry

I went in to this jail once to talk with the county Sherriff about some break-ins in the area while we were kayaking.  I always thought the plaque on the door was simple and to the point. This used to be a "must do" photo for those long haired, hippie type, kayakers. (My friends) .  The sheriff was a great guy.  The place we had to park our cars for a trip down the Obed River was covered with busted auto glass. Instead of taking a chance on getting broke in to, I walked down the road and began knocking on doors. The first three houses basically slammed the door in my face. The next house had a yard full of young'uns and the lady answered the door in a wheel chair. I told her about the break-ins at the take out at Obed Junction and told her we would gladly pay her $10 per vehicle if we could park in her yard. She was delighted and for the next three years we would pay her to park and our vehicles were never bothered. The Sheriff said that was the best thing we could do and they were aware of the break ins at Obed Junction and they had park rangers patrolling the area.

IMG_4341.JPG

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 3

Is that on the front of the Wartburg jail? Been past there many times. I recall there being an interesting sign, but couldn't recall the details.

It's been several years since I put in at OBJ, but the last I heard was that the hooligans responsible for the break ins had either been put in prison, died, or moved away. I've not heard of any break ins for a while now. 

I know of a few times the park rangers have followed boaters out there. You can drop off gear and people at OBJ, then meet the ranger at Lilly Bridge and park in the safer spot. Then they'll give you a ride back to OBJ. Just stop in at the ranger station in Wartburg and talk to the rangers.

• Like 1

A paddler! I spent many a day exploring the Obed River basin. Here is a picture of me at Rock Garden on the Obed. That area is one of the most beautiful places in the USA. That is the Wartburg Jail. You do not want to be on the wrong side of the law in Morgan County.  I could tell some stories about our adventures.......

3741.jpg?no_cache=11230000

Is that on the front of the Wartburg jail? Been past there many times. I recall there being an interesting sign, but couldn't recall the details.

Oh this sounds like the beginning to an interesting story, please continue!

Edited by Sam1

Oh this sounds like the beginning to an interesting story, please continue!

:rofl:  LOL. In my head that statement made perfect sense. I meant I have been to Wartburg and driven past the jail, usually on my way to go kayaking. I've got some stories from the Wartburg area  to tell, but they won't be the kind you may have been expecting, and none of them have anything to do with the jail.

Will, I know what you mean about that place being beautiful. One of my all-time favorite beautiful places is somewhere that maybe a few hundred people have ever seen. Island Creek, starts in Catoosa and dumps into the Emory, just below Nemo Rapid. It's a tiny little creek that rarely runs. In the middle of the run there are canyon walls on both sides of the creek. At one point the creek makes an abrupt turn and has carved out a cave into the rock wall. The creek flows into the cave and then out. One of the most amazing rapids I have ever paddled.

• Like 2