HK VP9 OR WALTHER PPQ - WHICH ONE?

lshel

I've only handled the VP9 at a gun store. The only thing I really hated was the mag release. I actually got to shoot a co-worker's PPQ and it was sweet.

I don't see how the H&K could shoot any better to be honest, so the tie goes to the Walther, IMO. This is based largely on the fact that the PPQ's still awkward mag release was much easier to press. I still don't like that paddle style mag releases, but it's better than the one on the H&K.

I hate it too but for different reasons. If I shoot my HKs enough I want to use my trigger finger to drop mags on guns that don't work that way.

A little over a year ago , I saw a PPQ M2 Navy edition at Dave's shooting supply in Red Bank ( the one near Subway on Dayton Boulevard. Not the one where Darr's used to be that had the no loaded guns sign on the door and where I refused to spend a dime) After shooting both, I went with the PPQ. I actually wanted to like the VP9 better because I like the idea of an inexpensive H&K. I shot them side by side at Bud's in Sevierville and, for me, the PPQ felt better in hand and the trigger was quite a bit better. The PPQ Navy was still in stock at Daves when I got back to town and I bought it immediately. It is hands down my favorite handgun all things considered.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So for,comments on VP9 vs PPQ is about 50% for each one. I'm right back to the start, undecided.

The standard mag release was a big factor for me. Every gun I buy is bought with an eye towards practical self defence use. I have hundreds of thousands of repetitions on a standard mag release. I see no reason to muddy those waters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I chose the VP over the PPQ for these reasons. I've had trigger time with the PPQ and shot both M&P's and Glocks. I purchased the VP40 this past weekend and couldn't be happier. My take on the Two:

Both triggers seem to break pretty early and have little to no over travel. Unlike the M&P which seems to break at the very rear of the trigger well. Both have a superior out of the box trigger compared to Glocks.

The PPQ has a smoother reset when compared to the VP, but the VP reset is still close in comparison.

The PPQ slide release is MASSIVE. Makes engaging it quite easy. 

VP slide is a more square profile compared to the PPQ tapered profile.

Why I chose the VP over the PPQ:

I prefer the trigger guard mag release on the VP. Very quick magazine changes without adjusting your firing hand. You can get this on the first version PPQ if you want...

Options to customize both side panels and back straps on the VP.

Standard luminescent sights.

Slightly beefier/ heavier slide for the .40 cal's recoil.

The VP pointed more natural for me, and the LOP fit my grip as soon as I picked it up.

My #1 reason for choosing the VP was HK's reliability and lack of any major breakdowns with these models. The version 1 PPQ's had trigger housing failures after a few thousand rounds and required users to send their firearm back to Walther for replacement. From what I hear, the M2 hasn't exhibited any major issues. There are lemons in every bunch, but I think the VP has a better track record so far.

Grunt's right. Both are great pistols, it's just down to whichever one floats your boat. Also, the trigger housing failure's I heard of were on the V1's. Even a close friend of mine had it happen to him while in the middle of a course at Front Sight. Just something to be aware of, but I don't believe it was overly common.

I've both now and the PPQ M2 trigger is slightly better. I like the ergonomics of the VP9 better. Both guns handle well and are very accurate. The PPQ M2 requires some reaching with finger to hit mag release button. The VP9 mag release paddle on trigger guard seems easier to operate. I'll just have to shoot both alot and see which one becomes a Safe Queen.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I think both are great guns having shot both.. If you plan on carrying I might consider the PPQ, mainly because (or at least to me) the grip doesn't seem quite as 'long' as the VP9 and you still get the same # of rounds in each pistol.

Edited by jaymc75
I carry a VP9 and like it a lot. Previously, I carried a Springfield XDm 3.8 Compact. It was an excellent gun but arthritis in my hands made it nearly impossible to rack the slide. For me, the advantage of the VP9 over the PPQ is in the "charging supports" at the rear of the slide. They make it unnecessary to have a firm grip on the slide in order to rack it. Mainly you just push against the small "ears" protruding from each side of the slide. It is very easy to do. This makes the VP9 ideal for anyone with limited hand strength. I also find the paddle magazine release on the VP9 much easier to use than the button release on the Springfield.