IDPA Question De-cocker

When you draw in IDPA is it legal to thumb back the hammer from a de-cock state before your first shot?

I'm thinking on a shot that's long I would be better off putting the pistol in SA state before my first shot for more accuracy. I'm still getting use to the DA pull. Some times I pull a little to the right.

I'm working on it and know what I'm doing that's causing it but that's just going to take lots of practice.

So can you thumb back the hammer?

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
Nothing says you can't but with that said you need to be extra careful not AD on that first shot, because your use to DA first shots. Dry fire is the way to fix the said problem, practice drawing DA first shot. Pay close attention to the sights, they'll tell you everything your doing wrong. When all else fails dry fire then dry fire some more.
  • Like 4
That's the big problem actually. This is my first SA/DA pistol. I'm use to a striker fired gun. Probably shouldn't try to circumvent improving in doing it correctly.

I get too much finger on the trigger and pull right with the harder pull. I know I'm doing it and know how to fix it but was just wondering on the rule.

Now where are those snap caps!

I shoot CZ's in the IDPA/USPSA production divisions.  I also am not sure if it is legal or not, but I would not do it.  You may have an AD plus it will cost you some stage time to do it safety.  The CZ's I shoot come from CZ custom and Automatic Accuracy.  My DA trigger pull is a very smooth 7.5 lbs.  I would do some dry firing practice at home and practice shooting small steel targets at 10-15 yard distances to perfect your control of the trigger pull.

Found this in the rule book.

8.2.1.2 Start Condition:
8.2.1.2.1 Selective DA/SA firearms will start hammer down.
8.2.1.2.2 Firearms with a de-cocking lever or button will be de-cocked using the lever or button. 8.2.1.2.3 If the hammer must be lowered by pulling the trigger and manually lowering the hammer, the
hammer will be lowered to the lowest position possible.

I couldn't find anything specifically forbidding it as well. It's still something I wouldn't ever do. In theory if the firing pin safety is working correctly no AD would happen, BUT if an AD happened your thumb is in all the wrong places...

Cocking a revolver and an auto-loader are very different things. The downrange consequences of an AD are the same. The consequences for the shooter are very different.

I think I mostly worked it out at the range yesterday. I was actually shooting better in DA. I practiced over and over racking and de-cocking then firing. My follow up shots were not as solid though. I think it's just a matter of me taking a bit more time on the first pull. We'll we see how it goes Wednesday at the qualifier. I'm really striving just to hit Marksman. If I got lucky and ended up sharp shooter then I've outshot my current ability and likely insured a tough go in any official shoots.

I think I mostly worked it out at the range yesterday. I was actually shooting better in DA. I practiced over and over racking and de-cocking then firing. My follow up shots were not as solid though. I think it's just a matter of me taking a bit more time on the first pull. We'll we see how it goes Wednesday at the qualifier. I'm really striving just to hit Marksman. If I got lucky and ended up sharp shooter then I've outshot my current ability and likely insured a tough go in any official shoots.

One word ... SANDBAG   :rofl:

One word ... SANDBAG :rofl:

Sandbagging is my norm. It's not on purpose though so I guess it's not sandbagging!

Seriously I will be excited if I can make Marksman. I've not been doing this long and I feel like my fundamentals are as good as expected for somebody who started shooting pistols just last Feb.

I've got a long way to go but I'm in it for the long haul so lots of time to improve.

My mistakes are mental. I typically shoot fair then screw up by forgetting a target or getting a procedural or three.

Sandbagging is my norm. It's not on purpose though so I guess it's not sandbagging!

Seriously I will be excited if I can make Marksman. I've not been doing this long and I feel like my fundamentals are as good as expected for somebody who started shooting pistols just last Feb.

I've got a long way to go but I'm in it for the long haul so lots of time to improve.

My mistakes are mental. I typically shoot fair then screw up by forgetting a target or getting a procedural or three.

I can't shoot the IDPA classifier for shit! But I do better in matches.  The reverse is true for USPSA , can't shoot stages worth a flip but seem to do well on the classifiers/standards......go figure.

As Cooper says, dry fire, dry fire, and dry fire some more.  Don't think about it being a double action first pull.  Just line up the sights and pull it.

Dry Fire is practice and illegal in I Dont Practice Anymore.....didn't you get the memo!

Dry Fire is the key for getting gooder. I had a horrible stage at the Cup one year because it was all weak hand/ weak hand supported and 1 standards stage had a whole string of off hand shots. I got to where I can do pretty well weak hand.

I struggle with it all as a new shooter but weak hand is brutal on me.

I've spent a ton of time practicing one handed lately. Strong hand feels ok but I need to hit the weights for lefty.

For me it was more about control than strength and getting my head in the right place.  But it all helps you become a better over all. 

I struggle with it all as a new shooter but weak hand is brutal on me.

I've spent a ton of time practicing one handed lately. Strong hand feels ok but I need to hit the weights for lefty.

Most people feel "weak" when shooting weak hand. The key is paying attention to trigger control and sight picture. Recoil is what it is and not much can be done about its effects when shooting weak hand (for the average guy)

It's hard to do but don't let the time crunch get under your skin shooting accurate is the most important thing, speed will come. I'm just getting back into the groove after almost a 10 year layoff from shooting center fire. I'm astonished at how much my skills have suffered. Practice is what I need, and dryfire is helping me with trigger control. A decade of shooting rimfire rifles with 2oz triggers doesn't help much with a 9lb DA pistol. but dryfiring that pistol is helping.